This easy Breakfast Casserole recipe is made with eggs, sausage, and cheese and only takes a few minutes to throw together. You can make it ahead of time, so it’s the perfect breakfast casserole for Christmas morning or any day!
So, I always thought I had the best breakfast casserole recipe (this overnight breakfast casserole that we make a few times a year). I recently learned I was mistaken, because this breakfast casserole right here really is the BEST!
And, although I still really love the other recipe, this one is more of a traditional breakfast casserole, with tons of eggs, and it’s fantastic! Plus, you can still make it the night before so it’s perfect for holidays and special events where you don’t have a lot of time to prepare in the morning.
I adapted this recipe from my sister Jessica over at Pretty Providence. I added a couple extra eggs, some milk, left out the mushrooms and cut the amount of bell peppers in half. The great thing about this recipe is how adaptable it is! It’s delicious with other types of cheese like pepperjack or Swiss, or you could try adding more veggies, like spinach or zucchini.
How to make easy breakfast casserole:
The main ingredients for this egg casserole are really simple and include: eggs, sausage, bell peppers, onion, and cheese. We add sour cream and milk to the egg mixture to make it creamy, light and fluffy.
To make the casserole combine the eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Next, cook the sausage, breaking it into small bits as it’s browning. Set it aside and then saute the bell peppers and onions in the same pan. Add everything to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour it into a 9×13” pan and bake for 35-50 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is a little jiggly in the center. It will continue to cook and set up as it cools.
After baking, leftover egg casserole can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed within 3-4 days. Leftovers are delicious reheated in the microwave.
Can I make this breakfast casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this breakfast casserole a day ahead, or freeze it to bake another day!
To make one day ahead of time, prepare everything as directed, up until baking. Cover the casserole and store it (unbaked) in the refrigerator overnight or up to one day. Bake in the morning, according to recipe instructions.
To freeze breakfast casserole prepare the recipe and add to your pan. Cover well with plastic wrap and then tinfoil and freeze for 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and then let it come to room temperature before baking according to recipe instructions.
Consider trying these popular brunch recipes:
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Peach Scones
- Poppy Seed Cake
- Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13’’ pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix on low speed with electric mixers, just until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain most of the grease and add the sausage to the bowl with the egg mixture.
- Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet the sausage was cooked in and sauté for 2- 3 minutes. Add to the bowl with the eggs and stir everything to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased 9x13’’ pan and bake for 35-50 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is just barely jiggly.
- Leftover egg casserole can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed within 3-4 days. Leftovers are delicious reheated in the microwave.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.