The filling is full of veggies, protein and a delicious thai/sweet chili/peanut sauce everyone that will leave everyone at the table feeling satisfied. You can watch your hungry family load their plates with seconds, thirds, or even fourths and smile that they’re not only loving these Thai chicken lettuce wraps, but they’re eating healthy!
Start by chopping your chicken into very small pieces, and chopping all of your veggies.
Add the chicken, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to a large skillet and cook until no longer pink. Add the chopped veggies and saute until tender.
Make the sauce (this can be made in advance and stored in the fridge). Fresh chopped ginger really tastes the very best in the sauce (you can buy a small piece of ginger root for this recipe, and store the extra in your freezer for another day).
Add the sauce and cilantro to the skillet and toss everything to combine.
What is the best lettuce to use for lettuce wraps?
You can use any type of green leafy lettuce for lettuce wraps, but popular types of lettuce include Boston bib lettuce and romaine hearts. The great thing about lettuce wraps is that they are easily modifiable when it comes to the filling and the wrapping. Cabbage leaves would also be a yummy substitute.
A few tips for this recipe:
This recipe is easily adaptable to use what you have in your fridge. You could add other chopped veggies, like celery, bok choy, bean sprouts, shredded Brussels sprouts, zucchini or summer squash. Saute the veggies until tender, when you add them to the skillet. If you add a lot of extra veggies to this recipe, you may want to make a little more sauce.
You could also substitute the chicken for ground turkey, pork, or tofu, or leave it out completely for a vegetarian option, adding extra veggies instead.
I use a box grater to shred my carrot. Then I use a paper towel to scoop up the pile of shredded carrot and squeeze the liquid out of it.
I also pat the chicken dry with paper towels after I’ve chopped it into small pieces. Removing the excess liquid helps the chicken brown better when you saute it in step 2.
The sauce for these lettuce wraps can be made 2-3 days in advance, making for even faster dinner prep!
Consider trying these delicious lettuce wrap recipes:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots , shredded
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage (red, green, or napa)
- 6 green onions , chopped
For the sauce:
- 2/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 heaping Tablespoon peanut butter , smooth or crunchy
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1.5 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 head Boston Bib lettuce , butter lettuce, romaine heart leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium.
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add ground chicken and cook, crumbling into small pieces. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, and green onions, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the sweet chili sauce, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Add sauce to the pan. Add cilantro and toss everything until combined.
- Spoon mixture into individual lettuce cups.
- You might also like Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Check out my webstory!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe in January 2014. Updated January 2018
I don’t normally take the time to comment or review a random recipe online but wow. This was easy to follow, hard to mess up, and absolutely delicious. Might add peanuts next time! Maybe lime too. But so so so yummy as is. Made for my husband and I, and had some left to take to work the next day!
This is absolutely delicious!! Will make again and again!!
This was my first TBFS meal, and it was so good! Easy and quick to make. Used turkey instead of chicken. I added some chopped peanuts for crunch and a squeeze of lime. My kids (5&2) ate seconds of it! Will make again!
So good! I had Hummus so I added that to the lettuce, everything else was as recipe was written. Will be adding this to our dinner rotation.
The thai chicken lettuce wraps will be a regular dinner I start making, but I will double the recipe because I want leftovers! So good 10/10!!!
See More Comments