The best Cuban Sandwich recipe is made with tender mojo roasted pork, ham, cheese, and pickles. It will have your mouth watering before it’s even assembled!
I can never pass up a good Cuban Sandwich when I see one on the menu, and after some testing I’m happy to share this easy Cubano recipe you can make from home! A Cuban sandwich typically contains ham and pork with a mojo marinade, cheese, mustard and pickles, toasted into a pressed sandwich.
How to make a Cuban Sandwich:
Marinate Pork: Season pork with salt and pepper on all sides. Add marinade ingredients to a ziplock bag or a bowl. Add pork and massage meat in marinade to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to one day.
Grill Pork: Using a grill, grill pan, or a skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork loin for 7-10 minutes on each side, rotating slowly, until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
Slice: Remove pork to a plate, cover, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly for sandwiches.
Assemble Sandwiches: To make the best cuban sandwich, slice cuban bread roll or ciabatta rolls in half horizontally. Lightly butter the outsides of the bread. Spread mustard on each slice of bread. Layer a slice of cheese, pickles, ham, salt and pepper, pork, then cheese again. Sandwich with the top piece of bread.
Cook Sandwiches in a hot panini press or in a hot skillet, pressing them down with a cast iron or heavy pan on top to toast them into a panini-style sandwich.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Marinate pork up to two days before cooking.
To Freeze: Let the sandwiches cool, wrap them in aluminum foil, and place in a freezer bag or container to freeze for up to 2 months. Rewarm in the oven.
- Bread: A traditional Cuban sandwich is made with a long, crusty loaf of Cuban bread. We like to use ciabatta as it’s easier to find, but a loaf of French Bread or artisan bread would work, or make the Cuban Bread from scratch.
- Pork Shoulder: Cuban sandwiches are often made with braised pork shoulder. I prefer to use tenderloin because it cooks much quicker, but leftover pork from carnitas or pulled pork would work great!
- Pickles: You can use pickles sliced lengthwise or pickle chips, whichever you have on-hand. You can also substitute bread and butter pickles instead of dill pickles if you prefer.
Follow me for more great recipes
Cuban Sandwich (Cubano)
For the Pork:
For the Sandwich:
- 8 ciabatta rolls *
- 3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup pickles *, dill or bread and butter pickle slices
- 8 slices ham , deli smoked or honey mustard
Marinate and Cook Pork:
- Season pork with salt and pepper on all sides. Add marinade ingredients to a ziplock bag or a bowl. Add pork and massage meat in marinade to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to one day. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow to come to room temperature.
- On a grill, in a grill pan or in a skillet over medium high heat, cook pork loin for 7-10 minutes on each side, rotating slowly, until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Remove to a plate, cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly for sandwiches.
- Slice ciabatta rolls or Cuban bread roll in half horizontally. Lightly butter the ousides of the bread. Spread mustard on each inside slice of bread. Layer a slice of cheese, pickles, ham, salt and pepper, pork, then cheese again. Sandwich with top piece of bread.
- Cook sandwich in a hot panini press or in a hot skillet, pressing them down with a cast iron or heavy pan on top to toast them into a panini-style sandwich.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe January 2021. Updated June 2023.