Soft and chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are one of my FAVORITE easy holiday cookies and I love to make them with cinnamon cream cheese frosting on top!
I have a huge arsenal of awesome sweets and treats–many from my mom or Grandma, and some that I’ve made up. But Ginger Molasses Cookies is not one of them. I only like them if they’re really soft and chewy, so I went on a hunt to find a great recipe and after trying two different ones, I came across the BEST Ginger Molasses Cookies.
How to make chewy ginger cookies:
To make these chewy ginger cookies, first combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the butter and sugar. Add the molasses and eggs and combine. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture and chill the dough for about 30 minutes. Form small balls and roll them in granulated sugar. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake them for 8-10 minutes!
Thank you Mel, from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe for introducing me to the softest, chewiest, most amazing Ginger Molasses Cookies EVER. I made them a second time, just so I could have some extras in the freezer for when friends were over. And they seriously tasted just as good after a few weeks in the freezer, which I consider a total win.
I really, really love these cookies plain. However, I decided to try a few with some of my Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting frosting on top and, HOLY COW, they were incredible. I give both versions 5 stars. If you’re going to any holiday cookie exchanges, these beauties will not disappoint!
Consider trying these holiday treats:
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake |
- Rocky Road Fudge |
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels |
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup butter , room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Sugar for rolling
- 1 batch Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat together the butter and granulated sugar until light and creamy. Add the molasses and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to several days) before rolling into balls.
- Roll the dough into small balls and then roll the dough balls in granulated sugar.
- Place on prepared sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (don't over bake them if you want a soft, chewy cookie).
- Remove the cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Frost with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, if desired. Store in an air-tight container, or in the freezer (they freeze really well!)
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.