These Brownie Truffles are made from scratch and are one of our favorite holiday treats! Easy to make and completely addicting!
Lately my social media feeds have been blowing up with “oreo” truffles. Don’t get me wrong, oreo truffles are pretty good….but I’m going to let you in on a little secret. They’ve got nothing on these homemade BROWNIE TRUFFLES! An easy, homemade, gooey, fudgey brownie rolled and dipped in chocolate! These little devils have been dangerous to my waistline.
They start with a basic homemade brownie recipe. I will not judge you if you decide to use a box brownie mix, instead. 🙂
After the brownies are baked, use a fork to crumble them, while they’re warm. Then scoop the brownie little handfulls of crumbles and roll them tightly into a ball. Freeze them for half and hour. They will be easier to manage and dip in chocolate when they are hard and cold.
When the brownies are nearly set in the freezer, melt your chocolate.
Be sure to use high quality chocolate, for melting. I often use Baker’s brand semi-sweet chocolate squares.
If all you have are chocolate chips, I would suggest adding a few tablespoons of butter to them to help them melt.
Dip the brownie balls in melted chocolate. Drizzle them with extra chocolate, or add a few sprinkles on top, if you want them to be extra cute.
I made usually make these with the full intention of giving them as neighbor Christmas gifts, but honestly, they often don’t make it out of the house! Whoops! 😉
Consider making these popular desserts:
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Homemade Caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well a 9×13'' inch pan.
- Chop the butter and the unsweetened baking chocolate into chunks and place together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. While mixing, slowly add the melted chocolate.
- In a separate small bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Stir the flour into the chocolate batter, just until combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a knife poked in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once brownies are cool I like to cut off and remove the very outer edge where a "crust" sometimes forms. Then use a fork to fluff the mixture into crumbs.
- Take a small cookie scoop (or just use your hands) to roll the brownie crumbs into 30-35 small balls.
- Place them on a large, parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until firm.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth. Use a spoon to roll the brownie balls in the melted chocolate--I remove them with a fork to allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place the truffles carefully on parchment paper. At this point you could add sprinkles, if desired.
- Refrigerate until set. These are best stored in the fridge. Remove 5 minutes before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe in December 2014. Updated Dec. 2017
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.