The BEST soft and chewy Snickerdoodle recipe! These get RAVE reviews every time and they are so easy to make.
Hooray for Friday and the upcoming WEEKEND! We moved to a new house this past week and I’m exhausted! Our house is still in the same area, but moving just isn’t easy, no matter how far you go!
My kitchen is finally put back together so I think that calls for some fresh baked cookies.
I wanted to share a “classic” cookie recipe with you guys because, let’s face it, more often than not I’m making favorite easy Chocolate Chip Cookies, or snickerdoodles in my “real” everyday life.
What are snickerdoodles?
Snickerdoodles are a type of cookie that are known for being soft and chewy. Snickerdoodles are made with butter, sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla, flour, cream of tarter, baking power, and salt. The cream of tarter is important in providing the unique snickerdoodle taste and also in giving the cookies a chewy texture. Most importantly, snickerdoodles are coated in cinnamon and sugar before baking in the oven!
The ingredients for these snickerdoodles are ones I always have on hand, and they only take a few minutes to make. Cream of tarter is important in this recipe because it helps distinguish the taste between a butter cookie and a snickerdoodle and helps with that nice chewy texture.
Snickerdoodles are one of those cookies that I only like when they’re homemade. When you buy them from the store they’re always flat and crunchy, which I hate! I love them thicker, with a tiny bit of crisp on the outside and a super soft and chewy inside. I’m here to tell ya, this recipe is a WINNER!
I recently sent a bunch to work with my husband and you would have thought people won the lottery with what a bit deal they made over these delicious snickerdoodles!
How to make snickerdoodles:
Start by creaming the butter, shortening, and sugar. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredients next and stir until combined. Now you are ready to shape the snickerdoodles into small balls. Finally, roll the snickerdoodle dough in cinnamon and sugar and bake them in the oven!
Tips for making easy snickerdoodles:
The snickerdoodle dough can be sticky and tough to handle. I like to grease my hands with cooking spray so they are easier to handle. Also, after you have rolled one tray of snickerdoodles, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This will make it easier to roll them in cinnamon and sugar before baking!
Consider trying these popular cookie recipes:
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Triple Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar (for rolling the dough balls in)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon (for rolling the dough balls in)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together butter, shortening, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt and stir until combined.
- Shape dough by spoonfuls into balls. I grease my hands with cooking spray since the dough is slightly sticky. I also like to put one finished tray of rolled cookies in the fridge while I"m rolling the second. Then when you're ready to roll them in cinnamon and sugar they are easier to handle.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 4 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes (don't over bake!) Remove immediately (and carefully, with a good spatula!) from baking sheets onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.