Homemade Veggie Pizza made with a a homemade crust and topped with pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, and any of your favorite vegetables!
If you follow us here at TBFS, than you may already know how much we love homemade pizza. Let’s face it, most American’s love pizza, but by making it at home you control what goes in it! Don’t miss our Chicken Alfredo Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, or BBQ Chicken Pizza.
Why we LOVE Veggie Pizza:
- Use any crust. Our homemade pizza crust, wheat pizza dough, store-bought dough, flatbread, puff pastry, or croissant dough rolls (see directions below in the post) would all work.
- Tons of veggies and flavor. This pizza has quickly risen the ranks on my favorites list. It’s seriously good. I love it with homemade pesto sauce, but the bottled stuff works great too!
- Make it ahead of time. You can enjoy this pizza hot or cold and make it all (or just do the prep work) ahead of time.
How to Make the BEST Veggie Pizza:
1. Choose your crust. I prefer my easy homemade pizza dough.
2. Spread with sauce. Spread a thin layer of pesto sauce over the crust.
3. Layer cheese and veggies. Sprinkle a thin layer of mozzarella cheese, leafy greens, vegetables, and then sprinkle a little more mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh cracker pepper and salt, and a thin drizzle of good quality olive oil if desired.
Veggie Pizza Toppings:
We’ve topped this veggie pizza with spinach, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes but you can add literally any vegetables to this veggie pizza. Just be sure to chop them small. Additional veggie toppings include:
- Shredded carrots
- Sun-dried tomatoes
Recipe Variations and adaptations:
- Swap the sauce: marinara, homemade ranch, white pizza sauce, ranch cream cheese (mix 16 oz. cream cheese, ½ cup mayo, and 1 packet dry ranch seasoning).
- Serve it hot or cold.
- Swap the toppings: see additional veggie ideas above, or add bacon bits, chicken, or ham.
- Crescent rolls dough: purchase two containers of crescent roll dough and roll them out side by side on a sheet pan, pressing the ends together with your fingers. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes then add toppings and bake for a few extra minutes.
- Serve with cheesy garlic breadsticks.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Prepare the crust ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer. I also like to cut the veggies ahead to make this veggie pizza extra quick to throw together.
To freeze: Place pizza (cut into slices if desired) in a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw at room temperature or reheat in the oven at 350 until warmed through. Unbaked pizza can also be frozen.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR PIZZA RECIPES:
- White Garlic Chicken and Veggie Pizza
- Loaded Jalepeno Popper Pizza
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Pesto Veggie Pizza
- Garlic Ranch Chicken Pizza
- Barbeque Chicken Pizza
- 1 pizza dough prepared and pre-baked for 5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- baby spinach or arugula
- zucchini , thinly sliced
- purple onion , thinly sliced
- bell pepper , any color, sliced
- cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Other topping ideas: artichoke, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto sauce over the crust.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, leafy greens and vegetables.
- Sprinkle a little more mozzarella cheese over the top, along with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh cracker pepper and salt, and a thin drizzle of good quality olive oil if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe January 2015. Updated August 2020 with process photos and additional tips.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.