You’re sure to win over your sweetheart with this amazing Valentine’s Cookies recipe that includes my favorite soft and chewy peanut butter cookies, with a Reese’s peanut butter heart pressed into the center.
I’m a bit of a cookie snob, and these Valentine’s Day cookies fit the bill for my ideal cookie; slight crisp to the outside, but is really soft and chewy. Top with a Reese’s peanut butter heart candy and I can’t think of any better cookies to make on Valentine’s day. They are fantastic!
How to Make Heart Cookies:
1. Cream butter and sugar. Start with mixing together the butter, shortening, brown sugar and white sugar.
2. Add the eggs (room temp) and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Scoop into dough balls. The dough will be pretty soft. Use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the dough. This recipe will make about 2 dozen cookies.
5. Roll in sugar. Roll each dough ball lightly in granulated sugar and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Keep in mind these homemade Valentine’s cookies will set up as they cool, so don’t over bake them.
7. Cool and add chocolate heart. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before pressing an unwrapped Reese’s heart in the center. Remove them to a wire cooling wrack to cool completely.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The cookie dough may be refrigerated for up to 2 days before baking.
To Freeze: Once cooled, place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months.
I’ve got dozen’s of yummy cookie recipes. Some of my favorites include:
Follow me for more great recipes
Peanut Butter Heart Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounce package Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter, shortening, peanut butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add and eggs, mixing after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix gently to combine. Don’t over-mix. The dough will be very soft.
- Pour remaining ½ cup of granulated sugar into a small bowl. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into balls and then roll in sugar.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, just until set. They will be pale, and look just barely set. Don’t over-bake them or they will be hard once cooled.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, and then transfer to cooling rack.
- Press an unwrapped Reese’s heart to the center of each warm cookie. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- Store leftover cookies in a container at room temperature, or they freeze very well.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe January 2018. Updated January 2020 and January 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you.
This post contains affiliate links.