Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are chocolate chip cookies with big chocolate chunks and a nutty browned butter flavor.
I don’t discriminate when it comes to cookies. I like all kinds and flavors. But I think most people can agree that chocolate chip cookies are classic for a reason. They’re nothing quite like them! Some of my other favorite cookie recipes include:
- Homemade Oreo Cookies
- Ranger Cookies
- Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Brookies (Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies)
- Frosted Sugar Cookies
I honestly never thought I could love a chocolate chip cookie recipe as much as I love my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I have to admit that I’ve found a contender in these Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
The tiny extra step of browning the butter adds such an amazing flavor. And pieces of high quality chocolate inside the cookie dough are even better than using chocolate chips.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR COOKIE RECIPES:
- Super Soft Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Triple Chocolate M&M Cookies
- S’More Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate), I like Ghirardelli's, chopped into small chunks
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place half the butter (1 stick) in a medium skillet.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan frequently. It will foam and froth and then it will start to slightly crackle and pop. It’ll foam and froth as it cooks. Then it will start to smell nutty and start to crackle and pop. Continue to swirl it in the pan frequently.
- Once the butter turns a light golden/amber color, remove from heat and immediately pour it into a small bowl. Allow it to cool for 20 minutes or stick it in the fridge for about 10-15.
- Add the remaining stick of butter to a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and cream together very well with beaters until it's very smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract, the cooled brown butter and the granulated sugar. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, beating on low speed just until incorporated (don't over-mix!).
- Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie and roll gently into a ball.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes or until just barely golden on the edges.
- Remove them from the oven, and allow them to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire cooling wrack to cool completely.
- Store extras in an airtight at room temperature for a few days, or place them in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze for longer.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.