One of my friends brought me a loaf of this lemon poppy seed sweet bread when I got home from the hospital with my first newborn. I can honestly admit that I devoured the entire loaf by myself and I didn’t even feel bad about it! (I blamed it on the fact that I was extra hungry from nursing my baby boy :-).
It tasted SO good, and now it’s one of those foods that always brings back the best memories of those first few days with a new baby.
The original recipe is from here, but my friend had omitted some unnecessary ingredients and added a lemon flavor. This new version is terrific!
How to make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread:
Mix The dry and wet ingredients together in separate bowls. Then gently stir them together, just until combined.
Pour the batter into two 9 inch loaf pans that have been lined with wax paper or parchment paper, and the sides of the pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before inverting the loaves onto a wire cooling rack.
Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, lemon and orange juice, and vanilla. Drizzle the glaze over the warm bread.
This recipe makes 2 loaves, so it’s perfect for sharing with a friend, just as mine did with me. You could also freeze the other loaf in a freezer ziplock bag. Allow the bread to come to room temperature before cutting.
Consider trying these popular bakery treats:
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Peach Scones
- Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
Lemon Poppy seed Bread
For the bread:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Line the bottom of two 9-inch loaf pans with a piece of parchment or wax paper. Spray the sides of the pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. In a separate bowl mix together the sugar, milk, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
For the Glaze:
- Mix orange juice, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add enough powdered sugar to make a glaze.
- Poke a few small holes in the top of the loaves and drizzle the glaze over it.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in June 2013. Updated August 2018.