This soft and moist Cranberry Orange Muffins recipe is topped with a delicious orange glaze, and bursting with flavor!
Why I love them:
- Easy – Only 10 minutes of prep and just a few steps, this homemade cranberry orange muffins recipe is great for a child to help with.
- Freezer Friendly – Make a double batch and freeze the rest for an even quicker grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
- Flavorful – We love the tart cranberries and sweet orange combination. It makes for beautiful and festive cranberry muffins, and the glaze takes it over the top.
How to make Cranberry Orange Muffins:
Dry Ingredients: Stir together sugar and orange zest. Add flour, salt, and baking powder.
Wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.
Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until mixed. Fold in halved cranberries.
Bake: Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-26 minutes.
Optional Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Drizzle over baked muffins.
To Freeze: Allow muffins to cool completely, then place in an airtight container of freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, or rewarm in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Cranberry Substitute: You could use dried cranberries, if you don’t have fresh, or try substituting fresh or frozen raspberries or blueberries, for a fun flavor twist.
- Mini Muffins: Bake at 350°F for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just crumbs.
- Jumbo Cranberry Orange Muffins: If you’d like your muffins to be a little larger, like bakery style, scoop the batter into 10 muffin cups, instead of 12.
- Cranberry Orange Loaf: follow this Cranberry Orange Bread recipe.
Follow me for more great recipes
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 large eggs room temperature*
- 1 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries , halved (cut before measuring)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ½ – 1 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- pinch orange zest , optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a standard muffin tin with liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients: In a large bowl add sugar and orange zest and stir well to combine. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and stir. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a separate medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Combine: Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Fold in the halved cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 20-26 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Whisk until smooth. Add more juice if needed to thin, or powdered sugar to thicken. Drizzle glaze over cooled muffins.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
This post was originally published November 2021. Updated November 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.