For breakfast, brunch, or even dessert, this Apple coffee cake with cream cheese filling is a winner! A tender cinnamon apple crumb cake with a surprise layer of cream cheese filling, and a delicious streusel topping.
There are three glorious and simple layers to this cake!
How to make Apple Coffee Cake:
First, you make the apple cake batter. I added some sour cream to the cake to make it extra moist–just like my favorite Sour Cream Coffee Cake. You could also use Greek yogurt (I’ve used it many times with fantastic results!)
The cake batter also includes diced apples. I usually use granny smith apples because they are great for baking, but you could honestly use any apples that you have on hand. I like to peel my apples and then dice them (I use a johnny apple peeler to peel and slice the apples all at once. Best invention ever!)
You can definitely keep the peels on the apples if you prefer. They are diced so small that either way would work 🙂
Next, you smooth the cream cheese layer on top of the cake batter. Make sure to use room temperature cream cheese so that it’s soft enough to whip up really smooth and creamy. The cream cheese layer includes just three simple ingredients: cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.
Lastly, sprinkle the streusel topping over everything. I love a streusel topping that has a little of everything–oats, cinnamon, sugar, flour and pecans (YUM!) and butter, of course.
I didn’t use pecans in the cake in these photos because my son was going to have some and he is allergic to nuts. But if you like pecans then definitely add them! I love the extra crunch and texture that they add to the streusel.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving. That will give the cake and cream cheese layer some time to set up so that when you cut into the cake you’ll have those three gorgeous layers: apple cake, cream cheese filling and streusel topping.
Who doesn’t love a great coffee cake, right? And, this apple coffee cake with cream cheese filling has three layers to love. A tender, moist, homemade apple cake, cream cheese filling, and cinnamon streusel topping.
I love how you can get away serving this special treat at brunch, with a side of coffee and fruit, or you can serve it for dessert. Enjoy!
CONSIDER TRYING THESE BREAKFAST FAVORITES:
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- German Pancakes
- Easy Homemade Egg Benedict
- Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Quessadillas
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
- Cheesy Egg, Avocado, and Ham Breakfast Sausages
Apple Coffee Cake with cream cheese filling
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream , or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cold, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans , optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8x8 inch pan.
- Combine all the streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with a fork, or your fingers, until the mixture resembles crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Stir flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold apples into the batter. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
- Use electric mixers to mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the cake batter in the pan.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience!
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!