Easy Broccoli Cheese Quiche made in my favorite homemade pie crust. This quiche is a great vegetarian option if you leave out the bacon! Family and friends alike love this easy brunch recipe!
So there’s something special happening in my personal life that I haven’t shared here on the blog yet–I’m PREGNANT! Baby number 3 is on the way, and we are pretty excited about it!
I’ll be honest, the past two months have been really rough for me. Any of you that follow my blog regularly may have noticed a huge lack of new recipes in the past few weeks. Well, that’s due to a nasty little thing called morning sickness that pretty much took over my life, made me completely miserable, and made it nearly impossible to cook anything at all.
BUT, I’m happy to report that the stage has passed and I have tons of awesome recipes coming, regularly, your way! Recipes that make my pregnancy cravings happy, like this delicious Broccoli Cheese Quiche!
I love homemade quiche in all of its delicious forms! I love that I usually always have the ingredients I need–eggs, milk, cheese, veggies. And let’s be honest, I usually have a homemade pie crust or two stored in my freezer, begging to be used.
Anything made in a pie crust already has my stomach growling. Homemade pie crusts are so easy and the dough freezes beautifully, so I always make 2 or 3 extras whenever I’m making pie crust. That way I can pull them out on a whim to make quiche, my favorite Chicken Pot Pie, or one of my many favorite homemade pies.
Homemade quiche is also one of the easiest meals to adapt to use whatever you have on had. You can use various kinds of cheese, veggies, and protein (like bacon or ham), depending on what flavors you like. I’ve found that this broccoli cheese quiche has the flavors everyone loves!
Fresh broccoli, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and BACON (unless you want a vegetarian quiche!). What an awesome flavor combination.
How to make broccoli quiche:
Start by cooking the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. If you would rather have a vegetarian quiche, you can just skip this step! Then remove the bacon and cook the broccoli, onions, and garlic in the same pan for a couple minutes (You only want the broccoli to be slightly tender!). Add the bacon back to the mixture and then prepare your egg filling.
Add the eggs, milk, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk until combined. Next, layer the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese in the bottom of a warm pre-baked pie crust (saving a little cheese for the topping).
Sprinkle the broccoli, bacon, and onion mixture evenly over the top of the cheese. Pour the egg mixture on top and add the remaining cheese. Bake at 35o degrees for about 45 minutes!
Can you make quiche ahead of time?
This quiche can be made ahead of time and quiches make great freezer meals! To make your quiche in advance, make and bake the quiche according to instructions. Allow it to cool completely then either cover it and put it in the fridge for up to 1 day or wrap it really well with a few layers of tinfoil and freeze for up to 2 months.
To reheat: Allow the quiche to thaw in the fridge overnight (if frozen) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
Consider trying these popular brunch recipes:
- Spinach and Bacon Quiche
- Chile Relleno Quiche
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- 1 homemade pie crust , unbaked
- 4 slices good quality bacon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head fresh broccoli , roughly chopped (about 3 cups)*
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel. Remove some of the grease from the frying pan.
- Add the chopped broccoli, onions, and garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper and saute until broccoli is slightly tender.
- Chop bacon and add it to the pan. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out one disc of pie dough into a circle, 12 inches in diameter. Place in 9 inch pie dish and crimp edges.
- Blind bake crust: Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and add 2 cups of pie weights, dry beans or rice. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove parchment paper and pie weights. Prick pie crust all over with a fork, then return to the oven for 8 more minutes.
- While your pie crust bakes, prepare the egg filling. Add eggs, milk and parmesan cheese to a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Layer most of the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese into the bottom of the warm pie crust. (Reserve about ¼ cup of cheese for sprinkling on top of the quiche).
- Sprinkle the broccoli, onion and bacon mixture over the cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until set on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes , or down to room temperature, if desired, before slicing. Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.