Crispy oven Baked Chicken Wings are so easy to prepare and you don’t have to bother with all the grease from frying! A healthier yet delicious way to enjoy wings!
It’s football season and what appetizer is better with game-day then crispy baked chicken wings?! Seriously, these little guys are the bomb.com! They’re baked to crispy perfection, and then tossed in the most delicious sweet and spicy buffalo sauce. They’re totally addicting and perfect for game day! Make them ASAP, and then thank me later! 🙂
What I LOVE about these Baked Wings:
- Healthier- without the deep frying, you get wings that are lower in fat and total calories!
- Crispy- I’ve got tips to help you ensure you still get that nice crispy chicken wing texture.
- 5 minute prep!
How to make Baked Chicken Wings:
- Dry the wings well with paper towels. This is essential to getting a crispy coating.
- Toss with dry spice rub. Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and baking powder in a small bowl. Then sprinkle the seasoning over the wings, tossing to evenly coat.
- Bake. Arrange wings, skin side up and bake, turning every 20 minutes until wings are crispy and browned. The total cook time will depend on the size of the wings but may take up to 1 hour.
- Toss in sauce. Remove from oven allow to rest for 5 minutes before tossing in desired sauce. I made a quick buffalo sauce with Franks hot sauce, sugar and water.
For Crispy Wings, DO THIS:
- Dry them well! After removing your wings from the packaging, be sure to dry them REALLY well. Use paper towels to blot away any moisture, pressing firmly on the wings. The less moisture left in the skin, the more crispy your wings will be!
- Use Baking Powder. Baking powder will help ensure that your wings brown nicely and it also helps create that desired crispy coating.
Baking Temperature Matters!
We all want our oven baked chicken wings to taste like they were fried, right? Or at least have that delicious crispy texture. Aside from the tricks listed above, it’s also important to get the correct oven temperature! The ideal oven temperature for crispy baked wings is 425°F.
Sauce for Chicken Wings:
This is the fun part…We love to have several different sauces available to try, including:
Serve wings with:
Consider trying these popular finger foods:
- Southwest Egg Rolls
- Slow Cooker Cranberry BBQ Meatballs
- BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos
- Baked Popcorn Chicken
- Cheesy Bean Dip
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings , halved at joints, wingtips discarded
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracker black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup Frank's Wings Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Adjust your oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack (I use a cooling rack) on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray.
- Use paper towels to pat the wings dry and place them in a large bowl. It's important to dry them REALLY well!
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and baking powder in a small bowl. Then sprinkle the seasoning over the wings, tossing to evenly coat.
- Arrange wings, skin side up, in single layer on prepared wire rack.
- Bake, turning every 20 minutes until wings are crispy and browned. The total cook time will depend on the size of the wings but may take up to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer wings to bowl and toss with sauce.
For Buffalo sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat stir together all sauce ingredients. Mix well until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding to wings (or prepare the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate).
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe September 2014. Updated January 2020 with process photos and instructions.