My family loves this easy Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta dish made with penne noodles, chicken and asparagus tossed in a creamy parmesan sauce.
When people find out about my blog, they often always, “do you cook every night?!”
My answer is “yes”, but I like to keep things simple too! Tacos, spaghetti, and tomato basil mozzarella toasts are dinner rotation regulars. Most nights I choose from one of my favorite 30-minute meals.
I’m a believer that cooking for your family at home can be just as easy as picking up a pizza or ordering take-out. (It’s less expensive and healthier too!) This Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta can be ready, fridge to table, in 30 minutes.
How to make Chicken and Asparagus Pasta:
Start by cooking the pasta in boiling water. I add the asparagus towards the end, so that it can cook in the boiling water and I don’t have to dirty another pan. You could roast or grill it as well, and then add it to the finished pasta at the end. You could also substitute another vegetable, or add more vegetables.
Next, brown the chicken. Add garlic and dry spices.
Add the chicken broth and half and half. Half and half is just a mixture of half milk, and half heavy cream. You can buy it at the store, or just mix heavy cream and milk. You could also substitute regular milk for a healthier substitute, but the sauce wont be quite as creamy.
Add the cream cheese and half of the parmesan cheese. Cook and stir until everything is melted and combined, and the chicken is cooked through.
Add the cooked pasta and asparagus to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Add remaining parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
CHECK OUT ALL MY 30 MINUTE MEALS! SOME OF MY FAVORITES INCLUDE:
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Taco Soup
- Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini
- Tuscan Sausage Pasta
- Crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos
Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- 12 ounces penne pasta , or other bite size pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut in small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus spears , ends removed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half and half , or substitute whole milk or cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese , cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the water. Drain pasta and asparagus.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes, browning it on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, half & half, cream cheese, and half of the parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined. Cook until cream cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Add cooked pasta and asparagus toss to combine.
- Add remaining parmesan cheese and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. You could also add a splash of milk or chicken broth to thin the sauce, if needed.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe in July 2014. Updated January 2018.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.