This Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini pasta recipe is made in less than 30 minutes and perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. The recipe includes cheese tortellini in a creamy homemade pink sauce with spinach, basil, and fresh parmesan cheese.
The only way dinner happens most nights is by taking advantage of my stock-pile of tried and true 30 minute meals. I rely on meals I can make really fast, with ingredients I have on hand, and something that my kids will eat without complaining. Creamy Tomato Spinach Tortellini fits the bill and is one of our family favorites!
How to make Creamy Tomato Spinach Tortellini:
Start by cooking the tortellini.
I prefer the refrigerated brand of tortellini best, because it’s the freshest. I typically buy the butoni brand. Cook the tortellini according to package instructions, in a pot of boiling water until tender. You will notice they will float to the top of the pot as they cook.
Feel free to use any kind of filled tortellini in this recipe, like chicken or cheese.
Then, make the a simple sauce in your sauce pan. Melt butter and add some flour. Add garlic and onion powder for flavor, and stir in milk and cream. Cook until the sauce simmer and thickens slightly.
Add diced or fresh tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings if it needs it. more flavor.
Add the parmesan cheese and cooked tortellini. Fresh shredded parmesan cheese will taste better and melt smoother than the pre-shredded packaged parmesan, but either will work. Give the pasta a gently toss to coat everything in the sauce.
Serve warm and enjoy!
MORE EASY 30-MINUTE MEALS:
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Wraps
- Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Korean Ground Beef Bowls
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini
- 20 ounces refrigerator cheese tortellini s
- 2 Tablespoons butter , salted or unsalted
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes*
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , plus more for serving
- crushed red pepper flakes , for serving (optional)
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add butter and cook until melted. Whisk in flour. Add garlic and and onion powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour in milk and cream, whisking as you pour and stirring until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer.
- Add diced tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Taste and season with salt and pepper or add more seasonings if desired.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cooked tortellini.
- Serve warm with extra parmesan sprinkled on top, and crushed red pepper, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe in September 2014. Updated April 2018.
This has become a staple in my house. So yummy! And one of my 2 year Olds favorites.
Quick, easy and delicious! I added more spices than what the recipe called for, but only what was on already on the list (because that’s all it needed for my family’s taste). Next time, I’ll add chicken (not because it needs anything, but because I think it would work so well in this dish for extra protein).
Thank you so much for putting time and effort into this resource. This helps keep me sane!
Absolutely delicious. Huge hit with the family
WOW !!! This is my first recipe from your blog and what a winner!!! My whole family loved this. Thank you for a delicious, easy, economical, fast clean-up recipe.
I love this recipe so much!! I added shallots and mushrooms that I sauteed on the side to add with the spinach and tomatoes <3 made it a few times now
As beautiful as it is delicious! Company worthy! My husband the meat lover didn’t even notice there wasn’t any meat and he didn’t care when I told him! ❤️
Delicious! I have tried 7 of your dinner recipes now and every one has been a hit.
Kids loved it! Surprisingly with the green stuff in it haha
See More Comments