This easy Cranberry Orange Bread recipe is made with fresh cranberries and a sweet orange glaze. It’s one of our family’s favorite traditions to make each holiday season.
Why I love this bread recipe:
- Flavor – The combination of cranberry and orange pairs as well together as peanut butter and jelly. It’s bold, sweet, tangy, and incredibly addicting.
- Quick Bread – There’s no rising required for quick breads so they only take minutes to make.
- Freezer Friendly – I love to make a big batch and freeze the extras to enjoy later or share with friends and neighbors all season long.
How to make Cranberry Orange Bread:
Combine Ingredients: Add sugar and orange zest then stir well to combine. Add flour, salt, and baking powder then stir. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
Add Cranberries: Cut the fresh cranberries in half and fold them into the batter then pour it into the bread pans.
Bake: For regular loaf pans, bake for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For mini loaves, bake for 35-45 minutes. If your loaf starts to get too brown during cooking, place a piece of aluminum foil over the top to finish baking. Cool and make the orange glaze, then drizzle over the bread. Cut cranberry bread with orange glaze then serve.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
To Store: Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temp or in the fridge for 2-3 days.
To Freeze: Cool completely then place in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Holiday Recipes:
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Brownie Truffles
- Christmas Cornflake Wreaths
- Homemade Caramels
Follow me for more great recipes
Cranberry Orange Bread
For the bread:
For the orange glaze: (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice , fresh
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar and orange zest and stir well to combine. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and stir. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Fold in the halved cranberries. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- For regular loaf pans, bake for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For mini loaves, bake for 35-45 minutes. If your loaf starts to get too brown during cooking, place a piece of aluminum foil over the top to finish baking.
- Remove from oven and set on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides of the bread with a knife. Carefully remove loaf from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- While the bread is cooling, make the orange glaze. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the bread. Cut and serve. Wrap bread well and store for 2-3 days at room temperature.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod.
I originally shared this recipe November 2015. Updated November 2019 and November 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.