Better than Sex Cake made with chocolate cake soaked in homemade caramel sauce and topped with fresh whipped cream. Whether or not you think it lives up to it’s name, it’s always a crowd favorite!
I’ve got cake recipes for every occasion and tastebud! Some of my favorites include, German Chocolate Cake, Gooey Butter Cake, Classic Yellow Cake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake, Homemade Rum Cake and more!
What is Better than Sex Cake?
This infamous cake is also referred to as, “Better than Anything Cake” and “Is it really better than sex cake?”. It’s chocolate cake with caramel and sweet milk poured throughout and topped with whipped topping.
What I love about this cake:
- Box mix or homemade. Obviously I prefer homemade chocolate cake
- That Caramel Sauce! I’ve used a jar of Mrs Richardson’s caramel topping when I was in a hurry, but honestly, it’s amazing with the homemade caramel!
- The heath bar topping. I use a bag of heath bits, to save time (you can find them by the chocolate chips at your grocery store). Store leftover heath bits in your freezer, or use them for this yummy trifle.
How to Make Better Than Sex Cake:
1. Bake Chocolate Cake. Any chocolate cake will work but we love this Hershey’s Chocolate Cake (baked in a 9×13” pan).
2. Poke holes. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to carefully poke wholes all over the cake.
3. Pour sauce. Pour caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk evenly on top of the cake.
4. Top with whipping cream and candy. We love crushed heath candy bars.
Store leftover better than sex cake in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Make the chocolate cake up to 1 week ahead of time. Allow it to cool completely, cover it well, and store it in the freezer. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator (or leave it at room temperature for a couple hours) and then continue with step 2, poking wholes in the cake.
Make the homemade caramel sauce several days in advance, to save time. It can be poured on the cake warm or cold.
To freeze entire cake: Allow the cake to cool completely. Cover well and freeze for 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Tips for success:
- Fresh whipped cream. Most recipes for Better than Sex Cake call for Cool Whip. I don’t like the processed, fake taste of cool whip, especially when fresh whipped cream is just as easy to make and tastes SOO much better! Just pour some in a bowl, add a little bit of sugar to sweeten it, and beat it until it’s thick and fluffy.
- Serve cold! This cake really tastes best if you wait a few hours before eating it. Let the flavors soak into the cake, and serve it cold. It’s completely heavenly! Here’s a little video tutorial to show you just how easy it really is!
Consider trying some of my other favorite cake recipes:
- Mississippi Mud Cake
- Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- German Chocolate Cake
- Lemon Cake
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Better than Sex Cake
- 1 chocolate cake , baked in a 9x13'' pan
- 1 recipe caramel sauce , or one 16oz jar caramel topping
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 heath candy bars , chopped*
- Bake cake in a 9x13'' according to recipe directions. Allow cake to cool for a few minutes, then poke holes in it with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Pour caramel sauce all over the cake. Then pour the sweetened condensed milk (I only usually use about ½ of the can of sweetened condensed milk because I think it's sweet enough with just half, the traditional recipe uses an entire can. It's up to you!) Allow the cake to cool completely.
- While the cake cools, add the whipping cream to a mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and then beat the mixture until stiff peaks.
- Smooth the fresh whipped cream over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with heath candy pieces. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to one day, before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
How would I make this as a layer cake?
See More Comments