Better than Anything Cake (aka Better than Sex Cake) made with homemade caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream. This recipe is one of our favorite cakes, ever!
I love any excuse to make a delicious and beautiful cake! In the past I’ve always stuck with 2 or 3-layer cakes that I can decorate pretty with piping or fruit. Naked cakes (like this berry cake) are fun, easy and beautiful.
Lately life has been BUSY! A new baby that attends Physical therapy, two toddlers in preschool, and a full-time business has kept me on my toes. I’ve had to make dessert for a few different occasions lately and I’ve come to love the ease of a cake made in a 9×13” pan.
Please tell me you’ve heard of this cake before? Some people refer to it as “Better than Sex” Cake, but we call it Better than Anything Cake!
If it’s new to you, then you’re in for a treat! If you’re familiar with it, read on, because there are a few things that make this recipe even tastier than most!
My tips for success:
1. You just can’t go wrong making this recipe with homemade caramel sauce!
I’ve used a jar of Mrs Richardson’s caramel topping when I was in a hurry, but honestly, it’s amazing with the homemade caramel! You could make the homemade caramel sauce several days in advance, to save time. It can be poured on the cake warm or cold.
2. as a general rule I always use fresh whipped cream instead of Cool Whip (which most recipes for this cake call for).
I don’t like the processed, fake taste of cool whip, especially when fresh whipped cream is just as easy to make and tastes SOO much better! Just pour some in a bowl, add a little bit of sugar to sweeten it, and beat it until it’s thick and fluffy.
3. For topping, you can chop up a couple health bars, or just use a bag of heath bits, to save time!
You can find them by the chocolate chips at your grocery store, or online. Sprinkle on however much you want–you don’t have to use the entire bag. Store leftover heath bits in your freezer, and use them another time to make this cake again, or in this yummy trifle.
4. Lastly, this cake really tastes better if you wait a few hours before eating it.
Let the flavors soak into the cake, and serve it cold. It’s completely heavenly! Here’s a little video tutorial to show you just how easy it really is!
Consider trying some of my other favorite cake recipes:
- Mississippi Mud Cake
- Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- German Chocolate Cake
- Lemon Cake
- More cake recipes
This cake gets it's name for a reason! Chocolate poke cake with caramel and sweetened condensed milk, topped with fresh whipped cream and heath bits.
- Bake cake according to directions in a 9x13 pan.
- Allow cake cool for about 5 minutes, then poke holes in it with a fork or the handle end of a wooden spoon.
- Immediately pour caramel sauce all over the cake. Then pour the sweetened condensed milk (I only usually use about 1/2 of the can of sweetened condensed milk because I think it's sweet enough with just half. But, the traditional recipe uses the entire can. It's up to you!)
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
While the cake cools, add the whipping cream to a mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks.
Add powdered sugar and then beat the mixture until stiff peaks. Smooth the fresh whipped cream over the cooled cake.
Sprinkle with heath candy pieces. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to one day, before serving.
*Heath bars also makes a bag of chopped heath bits. It can be found near the chocolate chips at the grocery store. I use about half of the bag for this recipe
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!