This microwave Chocolate Mug Cake will become your new obsession; it’s the easiest and fastest way to make dessert for one or two, and you wont believe how delicious it is! This mug cake recipe is made with chocolate chips and no eggs.
My late-night sweet tooth is a real thing and it has led to the creation of some of my favorite dessert recipes, like Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars and Monster Cookies. But nothing beats a chocolate cake you can bake in a mug or cup in just one minute, in the microwave!
I tried my first mug cake recipe about a year ago and it was a disaster. A few days later I tried another recipe. Again, disaster. Most recipes were dry and tasteless, and contained eggs.
Inspired by my favorite chocolate cake recipe, I set out to develop a rich chocolate mug cake without eggs, that wasn’t dry or spongy and that satisfied my chocolate cake craving. I’m so excited to share this perfect mug cake recipe with you!
How to make a Chocolate Mug Cake:
- Add dry ingredients to a mug: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add wet ingredients: milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cook in microwave.
Want to make a healthier mug cake? Make these swaps:
- Sugar: Cut the amount in half, or substitute an artificial sugar sweetener or honey.
- Oil: replace with applesauce, or coconut oil
- Flour: use white whole wheat flour
Additional add-in ideas:
- Small scoop of nutella
- Small scoop of peanut butter
- Flavored chocolate chips (peanut butter, mint, butterscotch)
Can I make it dairy free?
For dairy free mug cake, substitute almond or soy milk, use dairy-free butter or coconut oil in place of the oil, and dairy free chocolate chips.
Looking for more delicious Dessert Recipes? Some of my favorites include:
- The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Perfect Banana Bread
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- dash salt
- 3 tablespoons milk (any kind of milk)
- 1 tablespoons canola oil (or melted butter)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chocolate chips , or your favorite flavor baking chips
- Spray the bottom of a microwave-safe mug or coffee cup lightly with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and stir together.
- Add milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth, being sure to scrape the bottom of the mug. Stir in chocolate chips or sprinkle them on top.
- Cook in microwave for 70-90 seconds (see note) until cake is just set, but still barely shiny on top. (see notes below). Allow to rest in microwave for 1 minute before consuming.
- The trick with mug cakes is to stop cooking the cake earlier than you think, because you want it to be soft on the inside, and the cake will also continue to cook as it cools.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.