This simple Berry Cake includes naked layers of white or yellow cake filled with lemon mousse and fresh berries. It’s deceivingly easy to make, beautiful and delicious!
I love the simplicity and light and fresh taste of this Berry Cake. It’s easy to assemble and decorate and tastes best when paired with the seasons fresh fruit.
How to Make Berry Cake:
- Bake Cake. Make the cake batter and divide it evenly among 3 round cake pans, to make three thin cake layers. Bake as instructed, remove from pans and allow to cool completely before assembling.
- Clean fruit gently pat dry with a paper towel. Slice strawberries.
- Assemble: Place one cake round on a serving plate. Spoon ½ – 2/3 cup mousse onto the cake and smooth it towards the edges, leaving at least 1” of cake uncovered around the edge. Place an assortment of berries on top. Repeat with remaining layers of cake.
- Serve, or cover well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cake: Use any cake flavor you like. If you love chocolate, use my chocolate cake recipe, with a chocolate mousse.
- Mousse: You could use fresh whipped cream, lemon curd, or another flavor of mousse.
- Gluten-Free: use a gluten-free cake.
More popular Spring and Summer Desserts:
- Rinse all of the fresh fruit and gently pat dry with a paper towel. Slice strawberries.
- Place one cake round on your serving plate.
- Spoon ½ – 2/3 cup mousse onto the cake and smooth it towards the edges, leaving at least 1” of cake uncovered around the edge.
- Place an assortment of berries on top. Repeat with remaining layers of cake.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe May 2016. Updated April 2021 with new photos and improved instructions.