How to make caramel sauce:
Store caramel sauce in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Rewarm in the microwave for a few seconds, or over low heat on the stove.
To freeze, store in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Consider serving Caramel Sauce with:
- Apples or other cut fruit
- Ice Cream
- Caramel Pecan Apple Crisp
- Better than Sex Cake
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Grasshopper Pie
- Caramel Apple Cider
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Grease the sides of a medium saucepan with oil or non-stick spray. Add butter, brown sugar, water, and salt to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the butter has melted.
- Once the butter has melted, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes until golden brown and thickened (keep in mind it will continue to thicken as it cools). Stir constantly as it cooks, particularly the sides of the pan to prevent crystallization.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and ½ cup evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Add more evaporated milk if you'd like a thinner consistency.
- Store caramel sauce in a covered container or jar in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Re-warm in the microwave for a few seconds, or on the stove over low heat.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Recipe adapted from Food.com
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.