How to make caramel sauce:
Store caramel sauce in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Rewarm in the microwave for a few seconds, or over low heat on the stove.
To freeze, store in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Consider serving Caramel Sauce with:
- Apples or other cut fruit
- Ice Cream
- Caramel Pecan Apple Crisp
- Better than Sex Cake
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Grasshopper Pie
- Caramel Apple Cider
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream, or more, to thin the sauce
- Grease the sides of a medium saucepan with oil or non-stick spray. Add butter, brown sugar, water, and salt to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the butter has melted.
- Once the butter has melted bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes until golden brown and thickened (keep in mind it will continue to thicken as it cools). Stir as it cooks, particularly the sides of the pan to prevent crystallization.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Add more evaporated milk if you'd like a thinner consistency.
- Store caramel sauce in a covered container or jar in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Re-warm in the microwave for a few seconds, or on the stove over low heat.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.