There’s nothing I love to do more on the weekends than bake! If you follow me on Instagram you’ll see that I often use the hashtag #weekendsareforbaking, because it’s so true! And now that we’re entering the holiday season there are soo many things I’m excited to bake!
Now to master baking, there are a few tips that make the difference between average baked goods, and spectacular baked goods. The first is buying quality ingredients. You have to have high quality butter (not margarine, or any other brand of fake butter–you’ve got to get the real stuff)! High quality chocolate is also great to have when baking. It may seem trivial, but a good brand of chocolate chips will make a big difference in taste and texture.
My mom also always taught me to buy high quality Eggland’s Best Eggs. EB eggs are awesome for baking and they’re lower calorie and contain less saturated fat than regular eggs. They have more than double the omega-3s, vitamin D and vitamin E then regular eggs. So, to sum it up, they blow all other eggs out of the water! And because I love EB Eggs so much, I’ve teamed up with them for an awesome giveaway! Simply leave a comment below for your chance to win a $25 Visa Gift Card, plus coupons for 2 free dozen EB Eggs!
My second baking tip is to use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature butter, and room temperature eggs, in particular, are a must! Have you ever noticed the difference between cold and room temperature eggs? Crack one of each open and you’ll notice the room temp eggs yolks are bigger and “fluffier” looking.
You can keep those two tips in mind when making these amazing Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars! Let’s be honest, toffee and chocolate is always a winning combo! These bars have that going for them, plus a yummy layer of caramel flavor from the baked sweetened condensed milk. They’re rich and completely delicious! Whenever I make these I always make them a day in advance. They taste way better on day two! (And day three and four 🙂 ) They’re perfect for holiday parties–make them a day ahead and you wont feel so stressed!
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8oz package toffee bits, divided (I used Heath brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, salt and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture is crumbly. Add the eggs and stir to incorporate. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the dough. Press the remaining dough into a greased 9x13'' baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the baked crust. Gently spread it into an even layer. Reserve 1/3 cup of the toffee bits and then sprinkle the remaining toffee bits on top. Sprinkle remaining dough over the toffee bits. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 more minutes, or till golden brown. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of toffee bits on top. Cool completely before serving. These are best made 1 day in advance!! Cool completely and then place a lid over the pan or cover with tinfoil until the next day.
- These are best made 1 day in advance!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
*The Eggland’s Best information, coupons, and gift cards have been provided by Eggland’s Best. As always, all opinions are my own!