I don’t think there’s a dessert out there that couldn’t be improved by Oreo cookies and these Oreo Cupcakes are no exception! Homemade chocolate cupcakes baked with an Oreo cookie inside, and Oreo frosting piped on top.
How to make Oreo Cupcakes:
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Unfrosted chocolate cupcakes will keep, covered, at room temperature or in the fridge for 2-3 days. Oreo frosting will keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
To freeze: Unfrosted or frosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. The Oreo frosting can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.I find it easiest to frost frozen cupcakes and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving.
To freeze frosted cupcakes, flash-freeze them uncovered on a tray for 30 minutes (to help the frosting keep its shape) before placing them in a freezer safe container.
Consider trying these popular cupcake recipes:
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Frosting
Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Frosting
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- 12 Oreo cookies (Optional, for placing in the batter)
- 12 Oreo cookies (for topping on the cupcake)
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Oreo crumbs (from crushing Oreos in a food processor or with a rolling pin)
- Make batter for chocolate cupcakes.
- Place an Oreo at the bottom of each liner (optional). Spoon batter over top and bake according to recipe instructions.
For the frosting:
- Cream the butter with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and cream and beat well. Add vanilla.
- Stir in crushed Oreos. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting. Add an Oreo on top, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe August 2015. Updated May 2020 with process photos and additional tips.