I don’t think there’s a dessert out there that couldn’t be improved by Oreo cookies and these Oreo Cupcakes are no exception! Homemade chocolate cupcakes baked with an Oreo cookie inside, and Oreo frosting piped on top.
How to make Oreo Cupcakes:
Cupcakes: Make batter for chocolate cupcakes (you can use any recipe or a cake mix). Add paper liners to a muffin tin. Place an Oreo at the bottom of each liner (optional). Spoon batter over top and bake according to recipe instructions. Oreo frosting: Mix the butter with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and cream and mix well. Add vanilla. Stir in crushed Oreos. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top with an Oreo, if desired.
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Unfrosted chocolate cupcakes will keep, covered, at room temperature or in the fridge for 2-3 days. Oreo frosting will keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
To freeze: Unfrosted or frosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. The Oreo frosting can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.I find it easiest to frost frozen cupcakes and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving.
To freeze frosted cupcakes, flash-freeze them uncovered on a tray for 30 minutes (to help the frosting keep its shape) before placing them in a freezer safe container.
Consider trying these popular cupcake recipes:
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Frosting
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- 12 Oreo cookies (Optional, for placing in the batter)
- 12 Oreo cookies (for topping on the cupcake)
- Make batter for chocolate cupcakes.
- Place an Oreo at the bottom of each liner (optional). Spoon batter over top and bake according to recipe instructions.
For the frosting:
- Cream the butter with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and cream and beat well. Add vanilla.
- Stir in crushed Oreos. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting. Add an Oreo on top, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe August 2015. Updated January 2021.
This post contains affiliate links.