This spinach salad is one of my favorite family recipes. Fresh greens, mushrooms, warm crumbled bacon, cottage cheese and Swiss cheese come together for a flavorful and unique salad that’s sure to impress! The poppyseed dressing is the perfect sweet addition to make this a crowd favorite.
This salad is DEAR to my heart. It accompanied us to every pot luck, family party or special event I can remember. It was a staple at family dinner too. I’ve put off sharing it on the blog because I can never seem to take a decent picture to share with you guys. The photos just can’t do justice what an awesome, unique and delicious salad this is! It’s definitely in my top 3 favorites salads to serve with dinner.
Growing up I was raised to like all foods. We were not picky eaters. Having mushrooms in a salad alongside salmon for our dinner was completely normal. Ordering mussels and calamari for an appetizer at a restaurant was standard. As I grew older I learned that not everyone likes mushrooms (ghasssp) cottage cheese, seafood, and other things. How tragic! There is too much good food that picky eaters are missing out on! I hate to think this salad could be passed by because it has mushrooms. It’s WAY to delicious to pass up!
The combination of mushrooms, Swiss cheese, bacon and cottage cheese in this salad are KILLER, especially with the delicious sweet poppyseed dressing. Everywhere I have ever brought this salad, people go crazy for it. It’s refreshingly different and completely delicious!
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups chopped leafy green lettuce (romaine or red leaf)
- 1 cup cottage cheese, rinsed, and drained well
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb. sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup red wine or tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake well before serving on the salad.
- Add the lettuce to a large salad bowl. Top with remaining salad ingredients and toss gently to combine. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Serve immediately.
Never miss a post! Follow me on: