This spinach salad is one of my favorite family recipes. Fresh greens, mushrooms, warm crumbled bacon, cottage cheese and Swiss cheese come together for a flavorful and unique salad that’s sure to impress! The poppyseed dressing is the perfect sweet addition to make this a crowd favorite.
This salad is DEAR to my heart. It accompanied us to every pot luck, family party or special event I can remember. It was a staple at family dinner too. I’ve put off sharing it on the blog because I can never seem to take a decent picture to share with you guys.
The photos just can’t do justice what an awesome, unique and delicious salad this is! It’s definitely in my top 3 favorites salads to serve with dinner.
The combination of mushrooms, Swiss cheese, bacon and cottage cheese is unique and delicious. The homemade dressing is easy and uses simple ingredients you probably already have.
This is also a great salad to prepare in advance. The dressing can be made and stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. I then place the other ingredients in individual ziplock bags, in the fridge, and toss everything together right before serving.
Consider trying these popular salad recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
Mushroom Bacon Swiss Salad
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups leafy green lettuce , chopped romaine or red leaf
- 8 ounces button mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese , grated
- 5 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese , rinsed, and drained well
- 1/4 cup red onion , thinly sliced
For the poppyseed dressing:
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar , or tarragon vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons red onions , chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
For the dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust ingredients, to taste: more vinegar if you want it tangier, more sugar if you'd like it sweeter.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake well before serving on salad.
- Add the spinach and lettuce to a large salad bowl. Top with remaining salad ingredients and toss lightly to combine.
- Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.