Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with pecans, bacon, onion, dried cranberries, parmesan cheese and a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
Hooray for cooler weather and all things FALL. This roasted butternut squash salad has been one of my go-to’s for two years now (in close tie with this Brussels sprout salad). I’m a little obsessed with the flavor combination here. It starts with a bed of greens. I love serving it over kale, a spring mix, or spinach. You could use a combination of any of those, or any other lettuce you love.
Next you peel, cut and roast a butternut squash. You can by pre-cut squash from the grocery store, or it’s pretty easy to peel and cut your own. I just use my regular potato peeler to peel the thick outer layer of the squash off. I sometimes I have to go over it twice until I reach the bright orange flesh beneath.
Then, remove the seeds and strings from the rounded center. They look a lot like what you would find inside a pumpkin. Just scoop them out with a large spoon. Then chop the squash into bite size pieces.
Roasted squash is my preferred way to cook butternut squash. It’s easy to throw together and the flavor is amazing. Just toss your squash onto a large baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss everything together and roast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
While the squash is in the oven you can make the dressing, and prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. I love the flavor combination in this salad! You have the tender roasted squash, crunchy pecans, sweet craisins, crispy bacon, red onion, and parmesan cheese. I recently tried this salad with candied pecans and it was above and beyond delicious!
Toss all of that goodness in a Every bite is a little savory, a little sweet and completely delicious. It’s beautiful, healthy, and super filling, too.
Consider trying these popular salad recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squashes , peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 heaping cups fresh kale , chops and ribs removed
- 3-4 heaping cups fresh spinach leaves , chopped
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or craisins
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped (*see note below)
- 1/4 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- For the vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread butternut squash pieces into a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss gently to coat and then roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing once during cooking, until squash is tender.
- Allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Add kale and spinach to a large salad bowl.
- Top with remaining salad ingredients Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe September 2015. I’ve updated the instructions and added new photos.