We love this original Waldorf Salad recipe made with crisp apples, grapes, celery and walnuts in a creamy dressing on Boston Bib lettuce. It only takes 10 minutes to throw together and is a crowd favorite.
Looking for more salads? Try my Broccoli Salad, Watermelon Salad, or Asian Chicken Salad!
Why I love this salad:
- Classic – This recipe has been around since the late 1800’s in New York City at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. There are different variations, but they all contain the typical Waldorf salad ingredients of apples, celery, grapes, and nuts in a mayonnaise based dressing.
- My Childhood – My mom introduced me to this salad long before I knew it’s NY history. She made all kinds of different salads growing up, and I always loved this one. It goes great alongside any many dish, like Braised Short Ribs, Rack of Lamb, or Air Fryer Steak!
- Quick – All you need is 10 minutes, and it is easy to make ahead!
How to make Waldorf Salad:
Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl toss the apples in lemon juice. Add celery, grapes, raisins and walnuts
Make Waldorf Salad Dressing: In a separate bowl stir together the mayonnaise, sugar, red wine vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust to your liking with a little extra mayonnaise or more vinegar.
Toss Together: Coat apple mixture in desired amount of dressing (you may not want to use it all).
Serve: Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve cold, on top of bib lettuce or large lettuce leaf.
Best Apples for Waldorf Salad:
I love having one red apple (Honey Crisp or Red Delicious), and one green apple or golden delicious. The different colors make this salad bright, and the the two different flavors give the salad variety and taste great.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions:
To Make Ahead: You can make Waldorf Salad few hours in advance, storing it in the fridge until ready to serve.
To Store: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Mix-Ins: Make it your own by adding carrots, berries, pecans, or other nuts!
- Waldorf Salad without Mayo: You can substitute greek yogurt, but I would recommend still using half mayo.
- Waldorf Chicken Salad: Top with some fresh Grilled Chicken, or add meatless protein, like my Air Fryer Tofu.
Follow me for more great recipes
- 1 red apple , honey crisp, red delicious, unpeeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green apple , golden delicious, unpeeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 rib celery , sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes , halved
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or half Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Boston Bib lettuce , or romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl toss the apples in lemon juice. Add celery, grapes, raisins and walnuts
- In a separate bowl stir together the mayonnaise, sugar, red wine vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust to your liking with a little extra mayonnaise or more vinegar.
- Coat apple mixture in desired amount of dressing (you may not want to use it all).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve cold, on top of bib lettuce or large lettuce leaf.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe December 2016. Updated March 2020 and May 2022.
Love salads keep it coming, and make it international
I would like to make this recipe but would have no other use for red wine vinegar. Is there a substitute for this vinegar
Yes, pretty much any kind of vinegar would work! Balsamic, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar would make good substitutes.
I love this salad! Growing up, it was always served at every Christmas and Easter dinner. And as it happens, I have all of these ingredients in my refrigerator, so I think I’ll be enjoying Waldorf Salad for dinner tonight! Thank you for the idea.
I understand that walnuts are imperitive but can other nuts be substituted in a pinch? ( such as almonds )
Yes, definitely. Enjoy!
I’m confused. Is this recipe calling for 2 apples? One red apple of choice and one green apple of choice or is it calling for 1 each of all those different types of apples? This scenario would be calling for 5 apples. Thanks for clarifying.
1 red apple and 1 green apple. Enjoy!