There’s so much to love about this creamy, crunchy broccoli apple salad! Fresh broccoli florets, apples, dried cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds and onion tossed in a creamy poppyseed dressing.
This Apple Broccoli Salad is one of my go-to side dishes because it really goes well with so many meals. I’ll often bring it as a side dish for parties (especially holiday parties!) since it’s colorful, appealing and completely delicious.
The cast of characters: fresh broccoli florets, crunchy chopped apples, red onion, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries.
A few tips for success with this salad:
Cut the broccoli and apples into really small pieces.
That way each bite you take has a little bit of all of the flavors (and not just one big bite of broccoli!)
Blanch the broccoli, and then put it in an ice water bath to cool.
Make sure to drain the water really well and pat the broccoli dry. If the broccoli is warm or wet at all, the dressing wont be able to coat it very well.
Make the salad (or at least the dressing) a few hours ahead of time, if you can.
It tastes great when the flavors have had time to blend together.
You may want to toss the chopped apples in a little bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
I love the colors in this salad and the delicious combination of flavors. It’s the perfect side dish for all of your upcoming holiday parties.
Consider trying these popular salad recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
Broccoli Apple Salad
- 2 heads fresh broccoli , chopped into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 apples , chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion , diced
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Blanch broccoli and allow to cool. Use a paper towel to blot any excess water from the broccoli florets.
- In a large bowl toss together broccoli, apples, red onion, almonds, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries.
For the dressing:
- Whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle the dressing, just a little at a time, over the salad and toss to combine. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.