Our family’s favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft and chewy, made with a blend of oats and flour, and both white and brown sugar.
This is one of the very first recipes I shared with you all, published back in August of 2010! It’s the recipe my mom made growing up, and they are AWESOME.
The original recipe attributes them to being a “Mrs Fields” cookie recipe, although I can’t find a source to link them to. They get rave reviews from everyone who has ever tried them!
How to make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Blend oats until the oats are powdered.
- Mix dry ingredients: combine the flour, blended oats, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Combine dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookie balls and place them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes or until the tops look set. Cookies will harden as they cool, so don’t over-bake them.
How to make Chewy cookies:
There two main ingredients in this recipe that result in chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies: oats and brown sugar. The blended oat flour is essential to the added chewy texture, and the molasses in brown sugar makes it a more moist sugar than white sugar, resulting in a chewier cookie.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Allow cookies to cool completely, then promptly store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze them, stored in a freezer-safe container, for up to 3 months.
Consider trying these popular cookie recipes:
Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the oats to a blender and blend until powdered in texture. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, powdered oats, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes (a little longer for larger cookie scoops) or until the tops of the cookies are set (no longer doughy looking). Cookies will harden as they cool, so don't over-bake them. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe August 2010. Updated July 2020 with process photos and additional information.