No bake Peanut Butter Balls (also known as Buckeyes) are an easy holiday candy recipe that are sure to please a crowd.
Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes)
The first time I ever tried “buckeyes” was on Christmas Eve when our good family friends brought them to share with us. They were an immediate hit with everyone and the perfect bite-size treat to enjoy while we played games and celebrated the holiday together. They continued to bring them for years after that, and now they will always remind me of those fun Christmas Eve nights together.
My friends were nice enough to let me share this simple and delicious recipe with all of you. The original recipe calls for paraffin wax and semi-sweet chocolate chips which are melted together for dipping. To keep things simpler I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate melting wafers. Any melted wafers would work well.
Ingredients for Buckeyes:
The ingredients for buckeye peanut butter balls include butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate and paraffin wax.
How to make Buckeyes (peanut butter balls):
To make peanut butter balls, cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar until they reach a smooth consistency, then mix in the vanilla. Form them into small balls and allow them to harden in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Melt the chocolate melting wafers and dip each peanut butter ball into the chocolate. Allow them to cool on parchment paper.
How to store peanut butter balls:
Allow the peanut butter balls to cool completely and then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They also freeze well!
Can you freeze Buckeyes?
Yes! The peanut butter balls (buckeyes) freeze very well. After you have dipped them in chocolate, allow them to cool completely and store them in an airtight ziplock freezer bag in the the freezer for up to 3 months.
CONSIDER MAKING THESE CHRISTMAS SWEETS THIS HOLIDAY SEASON:
- Peanut Brittle
- Homemade Caramels
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Vanilla Creme Balls
- Christmas Cornflake Wreaths
- Caramel Cashew Clusters
Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes)
- 2 cups butter 4 sticks
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semi-sweet melting chocolate (I used Ghirardelli, but any chocolate melting wafers will work.)
- Use electric beaters to cream together the butter and peanut butter.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until you get a smooth consistency. Add the vanilla and mix.
- Form the dough into about 10 dozen small peanut butter balls.
- Place the peanut butter balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- When the balls have had a chance to freeze, melt the chocolate melting wafers according to package instructions.
- Use a toothpick to dip and coat each peanut butter ball in chocolate. Allow excess to drip off and then place them on a parchment covered baking sheet and allow them to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing useful products with you!