Delicious, thick and chewy Chocolate Brownies made in just one bowl. Enjoy them plain, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or with chocolate frosting on top.
You know those yummy “lunch lady” brownies we got at school as a kid? Thick, chewy, (sometimes topped with a frosting that totally melts in your mouth)? Well, you’re welcome, because now you can make them from home!
This easy brownie recipe is made in just one bowl with simple pantry ingredients. Enjoy them freshly baked, or top them with chocolate frosting or make them into mint brownies!
How to make easy chocolate brownies:
Start by mixing the sugar and oil in a large bowl. Then add the eggs, but be sure to mix each egg individually. Next stir in the cocoa powder until it’s well incorporated.
Finally, add the salt, flour, and vanilla and stir until combined. Bake the brownies at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Although it will be tempting to cut right into them, I have found that they are best after they cool completely!
Cakey vs. Fudgy Brownies
The fudgy or cake like texture of brownies is dependent on the ration of fat to flour that is in the brownies. If you like fudgy brownies, you can make sure there is slightly more fat in the recipe. For cake like brownies, you’ll want slightly more flour. This chocolate brownies recipe is the perfect combination of cake-like and fudgy, resulting in thick and chewy brownies.
Looking for more “bar” recipes? Try these:
- S’more Cookie Bars
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars
- The BEST Mint Brownies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Best Ever Peanut Butter Bars
For the brownies
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-6 Tablespoons milk (or cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl add sugar and oil and stir till combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added.
- Add cocoa powder and mix. Stir in salt, flour, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13'' baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- Cream the butter until it seems light and fluffy.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt and beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, mixing well until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Add more milk for softer frosting or more powdered sugar for firmer frosting. Spread frosting onto cooled brownies.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in April 2015. Updated January 2019.