My family loves this easy One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole. Just a few short minutes to throw together and let the oven do the rest.
Here’s what a nerd I am when it comes to cooking. For my 14th birthday a friend gave me a cookbook… and it was one of my favorite gifts! It was a compilation of favorite recipes from close friends, and one of the recipes was this cheesy chicken and rice casserole.
What 14-year-old is thrilled about a cookbook?! ME! I’ve just always loved trying and experimenting with new recipes. And, I still have that cookbook in my large collection of favorites.
This One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole is as easy as it sounds, and as simple as it looks. You add uncooked rice, raw chicken, and a few other ingredients to a pan and bake it for about 2 hours.
The end result is a delicious, flavorful, totally kid-friendly casserole. The perfect comfort food for an fast weeknight meal or Sunday dinner that requires hardly any prep on your part. I love recipes where the oven does all of the work.
Consider trying these popular one-pan meals:
- One pan baked salmon and vegetables
- One pan creamy lemon chicken tortellini
- One pan chicken fajita pasta
- One pan skillet lasagna
One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup (or homemade)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 batch homemade onion soup mix , or one envelope Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 3 thick boneless skinless chicken breasts , or thighs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan (or similar size casserole dish) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add rice, cream of soups, milk, water and onion soup seasoning to a bowl and stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Nestle chicken breasts into the rice mixture. Cover the dish with aluminum foil (the pan will be very full!) and bake for 1 hour 30 min to 2 hours , or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. (Mine usually bakes in 1.5 hours, but time may vary depending on oven, altitude and other variables).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh steamed veggies or a green salad.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.