Our delicious Meatloaf Sandwich recipe includes a thick slice of meatloaf topped with melted cheese, crisp spinach, and tangy sauce sandwiched between toasted bread.
Why I love this sandwich:
- Easy – I can’t think of a better way to use up leftover meatloaf. Transform last night’s meal into a completely new one in just 15 minutes.
- Versatile – The topping options are endless here, so pile it with whatever you love and serve it hot or cold. We enjoy it best hot, on toasted bread with the meatloaf and cheese broiled until warm and melted.
How to make a Meatloaf Sandwich:
Make Sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients. Store in the fridge for up to several days.
Assemble: Spread a layer of sauce over the bottom half of bread. Top with a slice of meatloaf and a slice of cheese.
Broil: Place on a baking tray with the tops of the bread up and broil until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Add a handful of spinach on the melted cheese, then top with toasted top layer of bread. Serve the best meatloaf sandwich with extra sauce on the side, for dipping.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Use leftover meatloaf or to make with fresh meatloaf, shape meatloaf in pan 1-2 days ahead of time. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To Freeze: Cut baked meatloaf into slices and allow to cool completely. Flash freeze slices on a baking sheet for one hour until semi frozen, then place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Fried Meatloaf Sandwich: Heat a skillet with ¼ inch oil, until oil is hot. Add one egg and a splash of milk to a shallow bowl and beat well until smooth. Add ½ cup flour and ½ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, paprika and baking powder to another shallow bowl. Dip the cold slices of meatloaf in beaten egg mixture, then flour. Fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden. Assemble classic meatloaf sandwich as directed.
- Bread: Use a tortilla to make a meatloaf wrap, or serve in a lettuce wrap for a low-carb option.
- Toppings: Try adding leftover mashed potatoes, pickles, jalapeños, sautéed onions or mushrooms, crispy onion straws, bacon, lettuce, tomato.
Follow me for more great recipes
- 8 Artisan bread rolls* , like ciabatta or torta
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 8 slices cheese , cheddar, provolone, or Swiss
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves*
- 1 recipe cooked leftover Meatloaf , sliced at least 1 inch thick
- Turn oven to high Broil.
- Make the meatloaf sauce by mixing together the sauce ingredients.
- Butter both insides of the bread roll and place in oven to toast. Remove from oven when edges begin to get golden and then spread a generous layer of meatloaf sauce over the bottom half of bread. Top with a slice of meatloaf and a slice of cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Add a handful of spinach and place the top layer of bread. Serve with extra sauce for dipping, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe February 2021. Updated February 2024.
This post contains affiliate links.