This incredible Meatloaf Sandwich includes a thick slice of our favorite meatloaf topped with melted cheese, crisp spinach and tangy sauce, sandwiched between toasted bread.
There’s no better way to use up your leftovers from a Meatloaf dinner then with this delicious Meatloaf Sandwich! The topping variations are endless, but the meatloaf and the sauce are the real star! Meatloaf sandwiches can be served hot or cold, but we like them best served hot, on toasted bread with the meatloaf and cheese broiled until warm and melted.
How to make a Meatloaf Sandwich:
- Make the Meatloaf Sauce. Mix together sauce ingredients; this can be done several days in advance, stored in the fridge.
- Assemble: Spread a layer of sauce over the bottom half of bread. Top with a slice of meatloaf and a slice of cheese.
- Broil: Place on a baking tray with the tops of the bread up and broil until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Add a handful of spinach on the melted cheese, then top with toasted top layer of bread. Serve with extra sauce on the side, for dipping.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Meatloaf Ahead: This is a great recipe to use leftover meatloaf! Or, to make with fresh meatloaf, shape meatloaf in pan 1-2 days ahead of time. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Allow it to come to room temperature before baking. You can also make the meatloaf sauce several days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator.
To freeze Baked Meatloaf: Cut meatloaf into slices and allow to cool completely. Flash freeze slices on a baking sheet for one hour until semi frozen. Then place slices in a freezer safe bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave or oven.
Fried Meatloaf Sandwich: Heat a skillet with 1/4 inch oil, until oil is hot. Add one egg and a splash of milk to a shallow bowl and beat well until smooth. Add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, paprika and baking powder to another shallow bowl. Dip the cold slices of meatloaf in beaten egg mixture, then flour. Fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden. Assemble sandwich as directed.
Substitute the Bread Roll with tortillas to make a meatloaf wrap, or for a low-carb option serve without the bun, inside a lettuce cup.
Toppings: Pile your sandwich with any extra toppings you like, including mashed potatoes from your leftovers or pickles, jalapeños, sautéed onions or mushrooms, crispy onion straws, bacon, lettuce, tomato.
- 8 Artisan bread rolls , like ciabatta or torta
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 8 slices cheese , cheddar, provolone, or Swiss
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 recipe cooked leftover Meatloaf , sliced at least 1 inch thick
For the Meatloaf Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 6 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Turn oven to high Broil. Make the sauce by mixing together the sauce ingredients.
- Butter both insides of the bread roll and place in oven to toast. Remove from oven when edges begin to get golden and then spread a generous layer of meatloaf sauce over the bottom half of bread. Top with a slice of meatloaf and a slice of cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Add a handful of spinach and place the top layer of bread. Serve with extra sauce for dipping, if desired.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.