If you’ve tried a Bánh Mí sandwich before then you already know how amazing they are! The pickled veggies with that yummy sauce, a little spice, and a delicious crusty roll. This sandwich has all the thing I love! There’s a little hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurant in Salt Lake that serves the BEST sandwiches, and I’ve always wanted to post a copycat recipe!
These sandwiches could be my favorite of all time. Well, they could tie with these Chicken Milanesa Tortas….But just take note that these Chicken Bánh Mí sandwiches are amazing! They’re so incredibly flavorful with the chicken rub, pickled carrots and cucumber and cilantro. The homemade sauce you spread on the rolls is also fantastic. I like to make extra so I can dip my sandwich it.
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- dash of salt
- 2 carrots , peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber , sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- 2 crusty french style rolls (or Banh Mi Rolls if you can find them)
- In a small pot combine the rice vinegar, water and dash of salt and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Peel and slice the carrots into matchsticks and add to a bowl. Slice the cucumber and add to the bowl with the carrots. Slice the jalapeño or other hot pepper, if using, and add to the bowl. Pour vinegar liquid over top and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow them to "pickle".
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, hoisin sauce and sriracha. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Season the chicken with a little garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Add a little olive oil to a skillet on medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes on each side until cooked through. Set the chicken aside to rest.
- Slice the rolls in half lengthwise and toast them. Spread a thin layer of the mayo sauce on each half of bread. Slice the chicken and place on top. Spoon any leftover sauce on top of the chicken. Drain the carrots and cucumbers and divide them between the sandwiches. Top each sandwich with a big bunch of cilantro. Place the roll tops on the sandwiches and serve!
If you like this recipe you may like: