Healthy Banana Oat Muffins are made with Greek yogurt, skim milk, whole wheat flour, bananas, applesauce, and whole grain oats!
Lately my pinterest feed is flooded with recipes that claim “gluten-free”, “no-flour”, “no butter” or other “healthy” recipes that sound really weird and totally unappetizing. Does anyone else feel the same way about this weird “health” craze going on?
Half the stuff isn’t even healthy, but it’s labeled in such a way that people think it will be better for them. (“Flourless” brownies will still add inches to your waistline! Just eat a regular brownie for crying out loud!) If I’m going to make chocolate chip cookies, gosh dang I’m going to make GOOD cookies! Not flour-less, egg-less, taste-less cookies.
The diet fad that I really don’t get is the gluten-free diet. I totally understand if you have celiac disease and/or can’t eat gluten because it makes you feel sick in some way. But for all those people that think eating gluten-free is healthy, they just haven’t done their research!
Most gluten-free products have hiked up the sugar and fat in the ingredients to make up for taste. And gluten is used in whole wheat products that are good for us!
Anyways, my point is, I’m all about adapting recipes to be healthy…. but doing it in the right way! I.E. switching wheat flour for white, swapping Greek yogurt for sour cream, applesauce for oil etc. This Healthy Banana Oat Muffins recipe is healthy, without lacking at all in the flavor department.
The muffins are super soft, moist and delicious. My husband even loved them, and he’s always super critical when I overly “health-ify” a recipe. 🙂
There’s nothing I love more than having healthy breakfast or snacks on hand for my toddler. I like to have some of these muffins in the freezer so they’re ready to go when he’s hungry. He loves them, and I don’t have to worry about the high sugar and fat content that would normally be in muffins. A win-win!
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS? TRY SOME OF MY OTHER FAVORITES:
- Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- No-Bake Granola Bars
- Healthy No-Bake Granola Bites
- Tomato Avocado Melt
- Citrus Fruit Salad
Healthy Banana - Oat Muffins packed with protein and fiber!
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar , not packed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 heaping Tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup banana , mashed
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts , optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a regular muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and brown sugar. Add the yogurt, milk, applesauce, honey, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Mash the bananas until no chunks remain. Add to mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats. Mix in nuts, if using.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. (Don't over-mix!)
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12-cup muffin tin, filling each cup all the way to the top (you should be able to use up all the batter.)
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 5 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 12-14 minutes.
Adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.