This easy Beef Stroganoff can be made in less than 30-minutes and is a delicious, kid-friendly meal your entire family will love!
I love fast and easy 30 minute meals like this stroganoff recipe or One Pan Baked Ziti or Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini! And, if you want to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, I’ve got you covered!
This simple homemade stroganoff recipe takes me straight back to my childhood. Is it fancy? No. Is it gourmet? Not at all. But, is it something your family (of any age) will happily eat, and ask for seconds? YES!
Stroganoff actually originated in Russia (something I did not know!) and refers to a meal that is made by cooking beef thin strips of beef in a flavorful, sour cream based sauce. I use ground beef in my stroganoff because it’s usually what I have on hand, and it’s inexpensive and kid-friendly.
Why I LOVE this recipe:
- 30 minute meal. This is one of those classic recipes that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- Ground beef. Different from other stroganoff recipes but SO delicious, cheap, and easy!
- Make ahead. You can make the sauce with the beef ahead of time and cook the noodles right before serving! See my make-ahead instructions below.
If you don’t want to use cream of mushroom soup I have linked to my easy homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe. I have also found that Greek yogurt is a great substitution for sour cream!
How to make beef stroganoff:
- Brown the beef. Brown the ground beef and add garlic and onion,
- Add mushrooms and broth. Drain the grease from the beef and then add mushrooms and beef broth and let it simmer.
- Stir in sour cream and serve over egg noodles.
- Serve. This is a go-to quick weeknight meal for our family.
About the BEEF:
One of the things I love most about this stroganoff recipe is that it’s made with ground beef. I don’t use steak because I hardly ever have steak sitting around for a dinner like this. But I usually always have some ground beef in my freezer just waiting to be used during the crazy dinner rush.
Stroganoff recipes call for all types of beef and you can definitely substitute your favorite type, including:
- Top sirloin
- Beef tenderloin
- Boneless ribeye
- Filet mignon
What to serve Stroganoff over or with:
- Egg noodles: Store-bought or homemade egg noodles.
- Rice or Mashed potatoes: both are great alternatives to egg noodles for serving the stroganoff sauce over.
- Roasted vegetables
- Green salad
MAKE AHEAD, STORING AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS:
Leftover stroganoff will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To make ahead, make the sauce up until the last step of adding the sour cream. Store in the refrigerator for 1-3 days,(depending on the freshness of your ingredients). Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat, and stir in the sour cream.
To freeze stroganoff, make the sauce up until the last step of adding the sour cream. Allow the sauce to cool completely, then store in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months. Reheat on the stove top and stir in sour cream once reheated.
Consider trying these popular dinner recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Italian Grilled Cheese
- Gourmet Baked Mac N Cheese with Bacon
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Wraps
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef you could also use ground turkey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms , sliced
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup (or homemade)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- fresh chopped parsley , for garnish
- Cooked egg noodles or rice for serving
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, breaking the meat up into small pieces, until it is nearly browned, but still slightly pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are browned and slightly soft and the meat is cooked through.
- Add the homemade or canned cream of mushroom soup and beef broth and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, allowing the mixture to bubble and simmer, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream, parsley and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles or hot, cooked rice. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe December 2016. Updated January 2020 with new photos and step-by-step instructions.
In all my years of making this, I have never had to turn out watery. What a disappointment. Never again.
Very good but I would put less liquid in maybe 1 cup broth instead of 1 1/2, we had to add corn starch to make it thicken enough bit other than that we loves it
10/10, was delicious, simple, reheated very well, and has been requested to be made again ASAP!
Had to add a lot more cornstarch to thicken. Otherwise it was more like soup. But then it was delicious! Will use half the liquid next time. We did the homemade cream of mushroom too
See More Comments