The most tender, flavorful Crock Pot Roast, cooked in a delicious gravy, with tender vegetables. This is an all-in-one meal that can’t be beat!
Crock Pot Roast
What kind of roast is best for a crock pot.
I always stick with chuck roast for the cut of meat when making pot roasts. It’s super tender after cooking low and slow for several hours. I typically buy mine in a two pack from costco, because its the best quality for the price. I rewrap them both separately and freeze them.
Do I need to trim the fat off the beef before cooking?
You don’t need to trim the fat from the meat. If for some reason your’s has huge sections of fat, you could trim some of it back, but if you buy your meat from a high quality store/butcher this shouldn’t be the case. The fat marbles help keep the roast really tender when it cooks.
Do you have to brown the roast before putting it in the crockpot?
Searing the meat before adding it to the slow cooker takes the end result from “great” to “amazing”. The kind of amazing that will wow your dinner guests! But, if you are pressed for time, or just don’t want the hassle of that little extra step, you can skip it.
For great flavor:
I’d urge you guys to make my homemade condensed “cream of anything” soup recipe (you’ll need to double my recipe), instead of using the canned stuff. It takes 5 minutes to make and tastes SO much better! You could even make it in advance and store it in your fridge so it’s ready to go. If you just want the ease of using canned cream of chicken soup, definitely go ahead 🙂 .
The creamy mixture you pour over the pot roast will transform into a delicious gravy for serving over the meat, veggies or mashed potatoes. YUM!
Add vegetables to your crock pot roast to make it a meal
During the last hour of cooking, feel free to add in some of your favorite vegetables! Our favorites to add are carrots (baby or regular), mushrooms and white pearl onions. You could also add potatoes (russet, yukon gold or red), but we prefer to serve the roast over mashed potatoes with the extra gravy.
Many roast recipes have you add the vegetables at the beginning, and they cook with the roast the entire time. I like to add mine 2 hours before the roast is finished cooking, so that they stay tender and don’t get overcooked and mushy.
How long does it take to cook a pot roast in a crock pot?
When cooking chuck roast in a slow cooker it’s really best to cook it on the LOW rather than high setting. I’ve tried it both ways, on low and high heat, in the slow cooker and cooking it low and slow always yields a more tender roast. I use this 6qt slow cooker and recommend it! Cook your crock pot roast on low for 8-10 hours for a tender and delicious roast!
Looking for more amazing slow cooker recipes? Try one of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- or check out all of my slow cooker meals.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- carrots, red or yukon gold potatoes, pearl onions, mushrooms, parsnips, celery.
- Season meat with salt and pepper, generously, on all sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet it hot, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the meat.
- Sear on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, until all sides are well browned.
- Lightly grease a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Stir together the cream of soup mixture and dry onion soup seasoning in a bowl. Pour mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- If adding veggies, add them 2 hours before the timer is up.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.