This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is an all-in-one meal with tender, flavorful roast cooked in a delicious gravy with carrots and potatoes!
How to make Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
Do I need to trim fat off the beef before cooking? No! You don’t need to trim the fat from the meat as the fat marbles help keep the roast really tender when it cooks. If you notice it has huge sections of fat, you could trim some of it back, but if you buy your meat from a high quality store/butcher this shouldn’t be the case.
Tips for Cooking Perfect Roast:
For “from scratch” flavor: substitute the canned soups for my homemade condensed “cream of anything” soup recipe (you’ll need to double my recipe). You can use a package of Onion soup mix or my homemade dry onion soup mix is extremely simple (using spices from your pantry).
Add vegetables during the last two hours of cooking, like carrots, mushrooms and white pearl onions. You could also add potatoes (russet, gold or red), but we prefer to serve the roast over mashed potatoes with the extra gravy on top.
Cook Low and Slow. When cooking chuck roast in a slow cooker it’s really best to cook it on the LOW rather than high setting. I’ve tried it both ways, on low and high heat in the slow cooker and cooking it low and slow always yields a more tender roast.
Looking for more amazing slow cooker recipes? Try one of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- carrots, red or yukon gold potatoes, pearl onions, mushrooms, parsnips, celery.
- Season meat with salt and pepper, generously, on all sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet it hot, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the meat.
- Sear on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, until all sides are well browned.
- Lightly grease a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Stir together the cream of soup mixture and dry onion soup seasoning in a bowl. Pour mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- If adding veggies, add them 2 hours before the timer is up.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.