Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is my favorite twist to a traditional grilled cheese! Any dinner that’s ready in 15 minutes is my kind of easy weeknight meal!
So, I get asked all the time, “Do you really cook EVERY night?!” My answer is always “YES” but that doesn’t always mean its fancy! I’m sure most mom’s can relate when I admit that on some nights, come 6 o’clock I’m ready to throw on my pajamas, crash on the couch and never get up.
Those nights are what we call “Soup and Grilled Cheese” nights! We whip up a simple, yummy soup like this skinny tomato basil soup, or this easy tortellini soup and make these amazing Italian Grilled Cheese sandwiches to go with! BAM–dinner done in 30 minutes!
The word “Italian” in these sandwiches makes them sound super impressive, I know 😉 — well….they’re not. haha. But, they’re the easiest thing in the world to make and they always, always satisfy! Spread a layer of your favorite marinara sauce on the inside slices of some thick, crusty artisan bread.
Good bread is the key to an awesome grilled cheese! Next, layer it with cheese, and grill it until the outside is crispy and the inside is melted.
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Italian Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices crusty artisan bread
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese (or about ⅓ cup shredded)
- 8 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup marinara pasta sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 4 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves , chopped (optional)
- butter (for spreading on bread)
- Spread butter on the "outside" pieces of bread that will touch the griddle when cooking.
- Spread marinara sauce on the inside pieces of the sandwich bread.
- Layer mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of the marinara sauce. Top with fresh basil, if using.
- Place bread slices together to make a sandwich. Place sandwich on hot griddle or skillet and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and toasted.
- Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I made your sautéed mushrooms. Adding butter to oil, cooking at high heat and adding a little red wine made the day.
Made these last night for our family of four. Everyone ate them (kids are 12 & 8)! Success! I used a sourdough bread and served with soup. Very family friendly! Thank you.
See More Comments