These delicious, crispy Southwest Wraps are made with seasoned ground beef, rice, black beans, corn, bell peppers, and onion. This is an easy meal that take less than 30-minutes and everyone in the family loves them!
Looking for more wrap recipes? Try my Buffalo Chicken Wraps, Cashew Chicken Wraps, or Veggie Wrap!
These southwest wraps are a hybrid of a burrito and a wrap! I love toasting them so the tortilla gets crispy and golden, and we serve them warm with salsa and hot sauce! They’re loaded with good ingredients to fill you up with protein and veggies, and perfect for busy weeknights.
How to make Southwest Wraps:
Cook Ground Beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain grease. Season with a little salt and pepper and add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and water. Stir to combine.
Add Vegetables. Combine black beans, corn, bell pepper, and onions and toss to combine. Saute for a 2-3 minutes.
Assemble Wrap. Warm the rice. Layer tortilla with a handful of cheese evenly spread across the tortilla. Add a small scoop of rice, placing it in a line along one end of the tortilla. Add a few small dollops of sour cream, and a spoonful of the beef filling. Starting at that end, roll the tortilla up, folding in the sides like a burrito.
Pan-fry Wrap. Spray skillet with cooking spray and place the wraps seam side down on the greased skillet. Brush tops of wraps lightly with oil, or spray them with cooking spray. Turn wraps every minute or two until they are golden and crispy on all sides.
Serve warm, with salsa and/or a creamy cilantro dipping sauce.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: You can make the filling in advance, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Assemble and pan-fry when ready to serve! Or, the entire wraps could be assembled a few hours ahead of time, and pan-fried when ready to eat.
To Freeze: The filling or full-assembled (un-toasted) wraps can be frozen for 2-3 months. Thaw completely before pan-frying over medium heat, until warm and crispy.
- Southwest Chicken Wrap: You can substitute cooked or rotisserie chicken (about 1 ½ cups, shredded) instead place of ground beef.
- Veggie Wrap: Leave out the meat, and add spinach or any other chopped veggies you like!
- Tortillas: Use any type of tortilla you like! My favorite part is the crispy crunch when eating them!
- Air Fryer: Cook on 400 for a few minutes, until crispy.
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Crispy Southwest Wrap
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 green onion , chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice (leftover rice works great!), mexican, white, brown, or rice pilaf
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese (or Monterey or pepperjack)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 6-8 large flour tortillas
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and crumble until browned. Drain grease.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and water. Stir to combine.
- Add black beans, corn, bell pepper, and onions and toss to combine. Saute for a 2-3 minutes.
- Warm the rice. Layer tortilla with a handful of cheese evenly spread across the tortilla.
- Add a small scoop of rice, placing it in a line along one end of the tortilla.
- On top of the rice add a few small dollops of sour cream, and a spoonful of the beef filling. Starting at that end, roll the tortilla up, folding in the sides like a burrito.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to a skillet or spray the skillet generously with cooking spray. Place the wraps seam side down in the greased skillet.
- Gently brush the tops of the wraps lightly with oil, or spray them with cooking spray. Turn the wraps every minute or two until they are golden and crispy on all sides.
- Serve warm, with salsa and/or a creamy cilantro dipping sauce.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe November 2016. Updated August 2021.
This is one of my family favorites! The directions are well written and easy to follow. The prep is fast and I love using fresh vegetables. Best of all, they ask me to “make a lot” so we have leftovers the next night and no one complains! Thank you for sharing this recipe
Made these with shredded chicken instead. Very yummy. Made 6 burritos/wraps with a little leftover. Ate one and put two in the fridge and froze the remaining 3. Loved the taste of the crispy tortilla too. Would make again.
I made these for the first time last night. Definitely will make again. I made the recipe per the directions and a second batch with just the meat/seasoning for my picky eaters! Loved grilling the wraps. Added a nice texture. We bought flour tortillas at Trader Joe’s. They were nice and flaky, which added a nice contrast to the grilled part of the wraps (best of both worlds!). On their own, the wraps need some type of dip on the side as an accompaniment. We used sour cream, which worked just fine, but next time I might get more creative.
These wraps were fabulous….I did not add rice but put in chili Fritos & diced campari tomatoes…. excellent idea to spray the tortilla b4 putting in the pan to crisp up….I dunked them in taco sauce & loved every bite…..definitely a keeper!!
These are amazing! I’ve never made a crispy wrap before, and I believe this will be entering my permanent rotation. I made this as written and do feel like it needs more flavor inside (tasted great though with some sour cream and hot sauce added while eating), so I’ll play around with more spices next time, or maybe some green chiles or cilantro!
My whole family loved them. I crisped them with cooking spray in the air fryer. So good and crispy.
Soooooo good! I used Taco seasoning for this along with other spices and WOW. It was a hit!! super super easy too
We LOVE this recipe. It’s become a staple in our home.
Delicious! A new spin for ground beef! Thanks we will be having this again.
Very filling! Added chipotle chili powder
See More Comments