When people find out how much I love cooking, they seem to always ask, “do you cook every night?!” The answer is “yes” I cook every night, but I like to keep things simple too! There’s nothing better than an easy (and delicious) 30-minute meal on a busy weeknight! I’m a huge believer that cooking for your family at home every night is just as easy as picking up a pizza or ordering take-out. By the time you order take-out, drive to pick it up, and drive home, I could have made a nice, simple dinner–like this Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta! (Not to mention how much money you save cooking at home.)
This is such a simple pasta dish, but it has great flavor, and it has one of my favorite vegetables–asparagus! I just threw the asparagus right in pot of water boiling the pasta, but you could roast or grill it as well, and then add it to this dish. And feel free to throw in other vegetables that you like as well!
- 1 (12 oz) box Penne pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- red pepper flakes pinch of
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half n half
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the water. Drain pasta and asparagus, reserving about 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken cook for 3-4 minutes, browning it on all sides. Reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, half & half, cream cheese, and half of the parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined and the cream cheese is melted.
- Add cooked pasta and asparagus toss to combine. If needed, add reserved cooking water until you reach your desired consistency. Add remaining parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
If you like this recipe you may like: