The best Teriyaki Sauce recipe that’s easy to make, uses pantry ingredients, and ready in minutes. You’ll never buy store bought again!
I first started making homemade Teriyaki Sauce to serve with these amazing Hawaiian Bowls I created, and it has since become a regular staple in our fridge. We use it to marinate chicken, to make Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry, as a dipping sauce, and so much more. It really is the best teriyaki sauce and so easy to make!
All you need is a few basic pantry ingredients, including soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ground ginger, brown sugar, garlic, honey, cornstarch and crushed red pepper flakes.
How to make Teriyaki Sauce:
- Combine ingredients: add all sauce ingredients to a saucepan.
- Boil stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Serve or use as marinade.
How to Use It:
- Serve over Coconut Rice , like in my Hawaiian Bowls.
- Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki Bowls.
- Teriyaki Chicken.
- Dip with Air Fryer Tofu.
- Make a Teriyaki burger, with a ring of pineapple and slathering of teriyaki sauce on top of a hamburger, turkey burger, or chicken burger.
- Teriyaki Pasta Salad.
Low sugar: Feel free to cut down on the sugar, if you don’t mind less sweetness in the sauce.
Teriyaki sauce without cornstarch: Flour may be substituted for cornstarch at a 1:1 ratio in this homemade teriyaki sauce recipe.
Use it as a marinade: We love to use this recipe as a teriyaki sauce marinade. Pour 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce over raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Homemade teriyaki sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead of time. Store it in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
To Freeze: Allow to cool completely and store in a freezer safe bag. Lay the bag flat in your freezer to ensure it freezes evenly and to save space. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch+ 2 tsp water , mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.