These Grilled Hawaiian Bowls could be my all-time FAVORITE summer meal! The bowl starts with coconut rice, topped with grilled pineapple, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. Then, we add grilled teriyaki chicken and a drizzle of homemade teriyaki sauce!
Looking for more grilling recipes? Try my Marinated Flank Steak or Chicken Gyros!
This is one of those meals I could eat EVERY NIGHT of the summer! Most of the ingredients are cooked on the grill, and lets face it, nothing tastes better during the summer than food fresh off the grill, and there’s less of a mess to clean up after.
How to make Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls:
- Make Coconut Rice: Add water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in rice and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before fluffing with fork.
- Mix Teriyaki Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. Sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Marinate and grill chicken by pouring ¼ cup teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts). Heat grill to medium. Grill chicken for a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to plate to rest before slicing.
- Cook chopped vegetables in grill basket, or cut the vegetables into large pieces so they won’t fall through the grill grates. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and pineapple spears. Grill for just a few minutes on each side then remove to plate.
- Grill pineapple by placing pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, then remove to plate.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This meal can be prepped ahead of time by chopping all of the vegetables, making the teriyaki sauce, and marinating the chicken.
To Freeze: The chicken and teriyaki sauce may be frozen. Freeze chicken in a freezer-safe bag and remove excess air to prevent freezer burn. Freeze teriyaki sauce in an ice cube tray then move to a freezer-safe bag for convenient portion sizes. Freeze chicken and teriyaki sauce for up to 3 months. Let thaw in refrigerator before using.
- Brown Rice: Add an extra ¼ cup of water, simmer for 45-50 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes, and then fluff with a fork. You could also substitute another grain, or quinoa if you’re gluten free.
- Extra Veggies: Mushrooms, asparagus, broccolini, tomato.
MORE “BOWL” RECIPES:
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowls
- Sweet Pork Burrito Bowls
- BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls
- Honey- Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 zucchini , sliced
- 2 bell peppers , any color, chopped
- 1/2 pineapple , peeled and cut into spears
- 1 red onion , sliced thin
- 1 batch Coconut Rice
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch+ 2 tsp water , mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the coconut rice.
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour ¼ cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. If you have a vegetable grill basket to grill the vegetables in, then chop them and grill them in the basket. If not, cut the vegetables into large pieces that will not fall through the grill grates.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple spears. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then remove to a plate.
- Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
- Lastly, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
- To Assemble: Add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle teriyaki sauce on top.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe June 2018. Updated June 2021.
This teriyaki sauce recipe is a definite winner! I sub in a little coconut aminos with the soy sauce, add 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1 tsp. lime juice. It’s amazing!
See More Comments