These Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls could be my all-time FAVORITE summer meal! The bowls start with a layer of coconut rice, topped with grilled pineapple, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. Then, we add grilled teriyaki chicken and an extra drizzle of homemade teriyaki sauce over the top of everything. This amazing rice bowl is sure to be your new favorite dinner!
This is one of those meals I could eat EVERY NIGHT of the summer! Most of the ingredients are cooked on the grill, and lets face it, nothing tastes better during the summer than food fresh off the grill, and there’s less of a mess to clean up after.
There are so many things to love about this recipe, but one of my favorites is the Grilled Pineapple. To make grilled pineapple, simply cut a fresh pineapple into spear, smooth a little bit of olive oil over them, and cook the spears on a hot grill, for a few minutes on each side.
The grilled pineapple pairs perfectly with the coconut and teriyaki flavors in this dish.
Another element of this recipe I LOVE is the easy homemade teriyaki sauce and the coconut rice. I rarely have bottled teriyaki sauce on hand, but I usually always have the ingredients I need to make this teriyaki sauce from scratch. It’s comes together in just a few minutes, and tastes so much better than store bought!
I hope you enjoy these summer rice bowls as much as we do. A little bit of sweet, a little bit of smokey, and tangy–put each tasty ingredient together and you’ve created pure magic!
Can I substitute brown rice?
Yes! To substitute brown rice for the white rice, add an extra 1/4 cup of water, simmer for 45-50 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
You could also substitute another grain, or quinoa if you’re gluten free.
CONSIDER TRYING SOME OF MY OTHER FAVORITE “BOWL” RECIPES:
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowls
- Spring Roll Bowls
- BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls
- Honey- Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 zucchinis , sliced
- 2 bell peppers , any color, chopped
- 1/2 pineapple , peeled and cut into spears
- 1 red onion , sliced thin
For the Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (about one 13.5 oz can)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice , or jasmine rice
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch+ 2 tsp water , mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the Coconut Rice:
- Add the water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, before fluffing with a fork.
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
Using a grill or grill pan:
- Prepare your grill and heat it to medium.
- If you have a vegetable grill basket to grill the vegetables in, then chop them and grill them in the basket. If not, cut the vegetables into large pieces that will not fall through the grill grates.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple spears. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then remove to a plate.
- Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
- Lastly, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
- Add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce on top.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.