Smothered Sweet pork burritos consist of slow cooked pork in a tortilla with cilantro-lime rice, black beans and cheese, smothered in green enchilada sauce.
I love my slow cooker as much as anyone but I seem to go through “phases” of it. I will totally forget I own one for months at a time. Then on a particularly busy day I will remember a great, easy slow-cooker meal to make for dinner–I’ll make, we’ll love it, and I’ll kick myself wondering why I don’t use my slow cooker more often! It makes dinner SO easy!
I sometimes go through a phase (like the one I’m in now) where I every meal I make is in the slow cooker! With baby number 2 about to come any day, I’ve got loads of slow cooker ideas ready to go! These Smothered Sweet Pork Burritos are the top of my list!
You throw the meat in the slow cooker until its perfectly tender, juicy and flavorful. Then you toss some of that shredded pork goodness into a tortilla with some yummy cilantro-lime rice, black beans and cheese. Then you smother the burritos in a green enchilada sauce with shredded cheese on top (of course!).
Wait a few minutes for them to bake (and for the cheese to get all bubbly and delicious), and now you’ve got yourself the tastiest little burritos your family ever did eat!
Consider trying these popular dinner recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Italian Grilled Cheese
- Gourmet Baked Mac N Cheese with Bacon
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Wraps
Smothered Sweet Pork Burritos
- 2 1/2 pounds pork roast (shoulder or butt)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 30 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheeses
- 6-8 large flour tortillas
- Trim fat from the pork roast. Cut the pork into 2-3 large pieces and season each piece with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add all the pieces of pork and sear for 1 minute on each side, just until browned. Transfer the pork to slow cooker.
- Add the liquid smoke and ½ cup water. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
For the Rice:
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the rice. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, lime juice and zest, cilantro and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. This can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to assemble the burritos.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred into bite-sized pieces (discard any pieces of fat). In a large bowl, toss the shredded pork with the brown sugar, ½ cup of the green sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, rice and cilantro to the pork mixture.
- Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan and spoon some of the green sauce on the bottom.
- Scoop about ½ cup of the meat mixture into each tortilla and sprinkle with a little bit of cheese Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over them and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until heated through and the top is bubbly and slightly golden. Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.