It’s a “busy-mom’s” gumbo. No rue is necessary. It has more of a tomato base, and tons of flavor. And the best part? It’s made in the SLOW COOKER! A total “dump it and forget it” type of meal. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or even for a fancy Sunday dinner. Enjoy!
Consider trying these popular slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Ziti
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken and Sausage is like a cheat version for gumbo! It's a great easy dinner full of bold flavors that your family will love!
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausages , cut into small rounds
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , chopped
- 4 green onions , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 2-3 ribs celery , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes , undrained
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasonings
- salt , to taste
- hot cooked brown rice , for serving
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
Add the sausage, spreading the slices into a single layer across the pan (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip each to the other side to brown.
Place (raw) chicken breasts in slow cooker, and then add the browned sausages.
Deglaze your hot saucepan with the chicken broth to remove all of those yummy browned bits.
Pour broth into the crockpot. Add chopped onion, green onion, bell pepper, celery, parsley, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine.
Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
Remove chicken to a plate and shred it into small pieces. At this point you can taste the broth and season with salt or additional cajun seasoning, if needed.
Return chicken to the pot and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked brown rice. Garnish with extra parsley and green onions, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.