It’s a “busy-mom’s” gumbo. No rue is necessary. It has more of a tomato base, and tons of flavor. And the best part? It’s made in the SLOW COOKER! A total “dump it and forget it” type of meal. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or even for a fancy Sunday dinner. Enjoy!
Consider trying these popular slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Ziti
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken and Sausage
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausages , cut into small rounds
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , chopped
- 4 green onions , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 2-3 ribs celery , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes , undrained
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasonings
- salt , to taste
- hot cooked brown rice , for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add the sausage, spreading the slices into a single layer across the pan (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip each to the other side to brown.
- Place (raw) chicken breasts in slow cooker, and then add the browned sausages.
- Deglaze your hot saucepan with the chicken broth to remove all of those yummy browned bits.
- Pour broth into the crockpot. Add chopped onion, green onion, bell pepper, celery, parsley, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred it into small pieces. At this point you can taste the broth and season with salt or additional cajun seasoning, if needed.
- Return chicken to the pot and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked brown rice. Garnish with extra parsley and green onions, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.