Crispy, fried orange chicken is my weakness at an Chinese restaurant. Make it extra saucy and extra spicy and I’m in heaven! This dish however, is probably the worst thing I could possibly order off the menu!
When cooking at home I love to make this healthier, baked orange chicken recipe! I love the light breading on this when it’s baked and crispy and the orange sauce is soo fresh tasting!
This is also yummy, and even healthier, with grilled chicken (still smothered in the delightful orange sauce of course)! Serve with brown rice and steamed broccoli…YUM!
Consider trying these popular ethnic inspired recipes:
- Thai Green Curry Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Kung Pao Noodle Stir-Fry
- Korean Bulgogi Bowls
Skinny Orange Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts , chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root , minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup green onion , chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
For the Orange Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons white vinegar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make the orange sauce by combining all ingredients. Stir well and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the egg, salt and pepper. In another small bowl combine flour and bread crumbs.
- Add chicken pieces to the egg mixture, then toss well in the flour mixture. Lay chicken on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes then turn the pieces. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a wok or large skillet. Add ginger, garlic, green onion and crushed red pepper and stir fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the orange sauce and bring to a boil. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Add this to the sauce to help thicken it. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Add baked chicken to the skillet and toss to coat. Serve warm with brown rice and steamed broccoli!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.