There is one thing that gets me about this recipe every time–the FLAVOR! These little Thai Green Curry Meatballs are bursting with bold flavor! I think that’s why I love Thai food so much, in general. It doesn’t matter what type of dish you’re eating–like these Thai chicken lettuce wraps, or spring roll bowls— it will have tons of flavor, it’s usually healthy and made with fresh ingredients.
This recipe starts with easy homemade meatballs.
Mix the rolled oats, egg, and milk together. Let is sit for a few minutes to allow everything to soak together and the oats to soften. You could also use breadcrumbs.
Add the ground turkey and other ingredients and stir everything to combine. You’ll be able to tell just by their smell, how amazing they are going to taste!
Cook them in a hot skillet, in batches, until they’re nice and brown on all sides. Then remove them to a plate while you mix the sauce ingredients together.
The sauce for these meatballs is really simple. You just need unsweetened coconut milk, curry paste, brown sugar, garlic, and salt and pepper. Taste the sauce. You may want to add more curry paste, if you’d like it spicier.
Add the meatballs back to the pan and simmer them in the sauce until they are cooked through. Add the lime juice.
Serve the meatballs over your favorite kind of rice. I prefer jasmine or basmati rice, but brown rice is also a great, healthier option. I garnish them with fresh Thai basil and chopped cilantro. YUM!
If you love Thai food, you may like:
Thai Green Curry Meatballs
For the meatballs:
- 1 cup cup old-fashioned rolled oats, or panko breadcrumbs*
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey, pork or chicken
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons Green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optinal)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 1/2 cup onion , diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon Green curry paste*
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 15 ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4-5 cups cooked jasmine rice , brown rice, white rice, or basmati rice, for serving
- Combine meat mixture: Add the oats, egg and milk to a large mixing bowl. Mix together and set aside for 10 minutes. Add ground meat, ginger, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, salt, garlic and onion. Mix to combine.
- Roll into balls: Scoop the meat mixture into balls, a little smaller than golf-ball size.
- Cook Meatballs: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, place one layer of meatballs in the pan, leaving space between each---you may meed to cook them in two separate batches, depending on the size of your pan. Brown the meatballs on all sides, turning occasionally as they cook. They don't need to be cooked through, just browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs to a plate. (Remove some of the grease if there is excess).
- Make sauce: Add curry paste and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in one can of coconut milk, scraping up any browned bits from the pan. Stir cornstarch in to the other can of coconut milk, and add to the pan. Add brown sugar, garlic, lime, fish sauce, cilantro and stir to combine.
- Simmer: Return meatballs to pan and simmer them in the sauce until cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
*Nutritional label does not include rice.
I originally shared this recipe in February 2014. Updated January 2018.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe