Healthy Banana Muffins that are flavorful and moist and just over 100 calories each. They’re low in sugar and fat, have no oil, but taste amazing.
Why I love this recipe:
- Healthier – These are muffins you can feel good about eating or giving your kids. They have no oil, are low sugar, and just over 100 calories each!
- Freezer Friendly – I love keeping a few different muffin options in my freezer. They make my life easier when I need a quick and easy snack for my family, or something to add to my kids school lunch.
- Delicious – While this banana muffin recipe is healthier, they don’t sacrifice in flavor or texture one bit.
How to make Banana Bread Muffins:
Combine Wet Ingredients: Mash bananas in a mixing bowl then add egg, vanilla, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon and stir well to combine.
Stir Dry Ingredients: In a separate small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then add to banana mixture and stir, just to combine.
Add Butter: Gently stir in melted butter, but don’t over-mix the batter.
Bake: Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan then bake these healthy banana bread muffins for 18-25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Tips for Perfect Banana Muffins:
- Use Extra-Ripe Bananas: Use really ripe bananas because the riper the banana, the sweeter it is, the easier it is to mash, and the more sweetness it adds to the bread.
- How to Ripen Bananas: If your bananas are not overly ripe, place them, peel on, on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degree F for about 6-8 minutes, or until the banana skin is dark.
- Don’t Over-Mix the Batter: The more you mix the batter, the more gluten will develop, which can make the muffins rubbery and dense.
Storage and Freezing Instructions:
To Store: These easy banana muffins will keep at room temperature for 3-5 days.
To Freeze: Cool completely then store in a freezer safe bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter or in the microwave. I love to add them to my kid’s school lunches.
- Mix-Ins: Feel free to stir in ¾ cup of you favorite chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or raisins, at the end, before adding the batter to the muffin pan.
- Make my Healthy Banana Bread by baking in loaf pans instead of muffins tins.
More Healthy Snacks for Kids:
- Skinny Chocolate Muffins
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Easy Healthy Granola
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Granola Bites
Follow me for more great recipes
Healthy Banana Muffins
- 4 bananas , about 1 ⅓ cups, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- Grease a standard muffin pan (or line with paper muffin liners). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl. Add egg, vanilla, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon and stir well to combine.
- In a separate small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir, just to combine.
- Gently stir in melted butter. Don’t over-mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 18-25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe March 2018. Updated August 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.