Our family’s very favorite Banana Bread recipe is EASY, moist, and simply perfection! Look no further for a fool-proof banana bread recipe that turns out perfect every time.
I’ve probably made this banana bread recipe a thousand times! I first shared it back in 2010 and it’s one of those “staple” recipes that everyone should have in their collection.
The ingredients are simple and it’s easy to make. It’s a “quick bread” which means the leavening agents in the batter are baking soda and baking powder, and not yeast, like regular bread recipes, so it’s ready to bake right away.
If you’re looking for a healthier banana bread recipe then be sure to check out my very popular Skinny Banana Bread!
How to make Banana Bread:
- In a small bowl mash three ripe bananas with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy in texture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Next, mix in the mashed bananas and milk.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add to the creamed sugar mixture. Stir just enough to combine the batter without over-mixing.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 inch (or similar size) bread loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Tips for moist and perfect banana bread:
Room temperature ingredients. Room temperature eggs and butter emulsify into the batter better than if they are cold.
Don’t over-mix. For extra moist and soft banana bread, don’t over-mix the batter, especially when you add the flour mixture in the last step.
Over-browning. If the bread is browning too much in the oven before the time is up, place a piece of tinfoil over it.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Banana bread will keep at room temperature for 3-5 days.
To freeze, allow it to cool completely and then store in an airtight container or freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw to room temperature before serving.
Other Banana Bread Variations:
Banana Nut Bread: Simply chop your favorite nuts (I love to add walnuts) and gently stir them in the batter at the very end.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Stir in a cup or more of chocolate chips to the batter at the end of preparation.
More ways to use ripe bananas:
Our Favorite Banana Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (or similar size loaf pan). I also like to line the bottom of the pan with a small piece of parchment or wax paper.
- Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the mashed banana and milk and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir everything just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing the bread from the pan and allowing it to cool completely.
- Banana Nut Bread: Add your favorite nuts (I love to add walnuts) and gently stir them in the batter at the very end.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Add one cup or more of chocolate chips to the batter at the end of preparation.
- Healthy Banana Bread: I often make a healthy banana bread with a few small changes including cutting the sugar in half. Check out my Skinny Banana Bread or Skinny Banana Bread Muffins.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in June 2010. Updated January 2019.