Your search for the BEST, moist and delicious Zucchini Bread ends here! My Mom’s tried and tested recipe has the perfect blend of spices, tender crumb and amazing flavor.
Every time I make zucchini bread it takes me right back to my mom’s kitchen when I was little. The smell would fill our house and I could hardly wait for one of my favorite treats to finish baking!
What I LOVE about this Recipe:
- Adaptable Add chocolate chips, nuts, make it healthier (see tips below), add some cocoa powder (for chocolate zucchini bread), or any other adaptations to make it your own because this is a very flexible zucchini bread recipe.
- Freezer Friendly: I love to make several mini loaves of this recipe to have in my freezer. Zucchini bread freezes really really well1 See tips below.
- Easy. You can throw this together in 15 minutes and it calls for basic pantry staples that you likely already have on hand. Plus it will make your house smell amazing!
How to Make Zucchini Bread (in 5 steps):
1. Mix sugars and oil.
2. Add eggs and vanilla.
3. Grate zucchini (with the peel on). If the zucchini is extra watery use a paper towel to gently squeeze some of the moisture out. Add to mixing bowl.
4. Add dry ingredients. Mix together the dry ingredients, add them to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Bake. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Allow the loaves to cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months. Thaw on countertop (or for a few seconds on defrost in the microwave).
I love that this recipe makes 2 loaves of zucchini bread, so that you can either give a loaf to a friend of neighbor, or freeze it for another day.
- Healthy Zucchini bread: Use half whole wheat flour, substitute half of the oil for applesauce, and cut out the granulated sugar completely.
- Gluten free: substitute gluten-free flour.
- Chocolate chip zucchini bread: Add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips to the batter, along with the dry ingredients.
- Chocolate Zucchini bread: replace 1/3 cup of flour with unsweetened cocoa powder.
Other recipes to use zucchini for baking:
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Cake with cream cheese frosting
- Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Mom's Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchinis
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 8x4'' bread pans with cook spray. I also like to line the bottom of the pans with wax or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the white sugar, brown sugar and oil. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Grate the entire zucchini (peel on) on the large holes of a box grater, using light pressure. If the zucchini is extra watery use a paper towel to gently squeeze some of the moisture out.
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe in August 2014. Updated April 2020 with process photos.