My whole family loves these healthy Carrot Muffins made with Greek yogurt, applesauce, shredded carrots, banana, oats and whole wheat flour.
What I love about this recipe:
- Healthy: Obviously they are made with real ingredients but I also love that they have an estimated 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber per muffin and a lot less sugar than you’d find in regular muffins.
- Pumpkin puree: this is the secret ingredient that gives these muffins added moistness and natural coloring.
- Freezer friendly: I am a huge fan of freezing muffins. I keep a stock of healthy muffins in my freezer for my kids (and I) to enjoy for quick breakfasts, snacks, or lunches.
How to Make Healthy Carrot Muffins:
1. Mix wet ingredients. Add sugar, butter to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine. Add yogurt, applesauce, eggs, pumpkin, carrots and banana and stir well.
2. Mix dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl stir together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
3. Combine. Add to the wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir, just until combined.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Store muffins at room temperature, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.
To freeze, allow the muffins to cool completely, then place them in a freezer safe resealable bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove them from the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature. You can also microwave one frozen muffin for about 20 seconds.
For mini muffins: bake for 10-14 minutes.
Egg allergy: Mix 3 tablespoons of flaxseed with ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of water. Use in place of the 3 eggs called for.
Vegan carrot muffins: Replace the eggs as described above and substitute vegan yogurt.
Gluten-free carrot muffins: Substitute gluten-free flour.
Walnut muffins: add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.
Raisin carrot muffins: add 1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries.
Other healthy muffin recipes:
- Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins
- Banana Bran Muffins
- Skinny Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter , softened
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cups shredded carrots (about 2 large)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats (quick cook oats will also work)
- 2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat and half all-purpose)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Add sugar, butter to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine. Add yogurt, applesauce, eggs, pumpkin, carrots and banana and stir well.
- In a separate mixing bowl stir together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the wet mixture and stir, just until combined.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.